Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by James Bull <jb...@thoughtworks.com> on 2006/07/28 13:14:50 UTC

Constant throughput timer question

Hi all,

I have noticed while using the constant throughput timer that it calculates
its throughput only after the first set of threads has completed.

ie. if you set the throughput to 100 per minute but have 200 threads all
200 threads will run for an iteration and then wait for sufficient time to
achieve the throughput you requested and then run it again.

This is contrary to what I want as I want the load spread out more evenly.
I can achieve this by having a look at the response time and calculating a
more appropriate number of users but then I might as well set the ramp up
time appropriately and ignore the constant throughput timer altogether.

It would be nice if instead of calculating the throughput after the whole
lot of threads had run once it did it after each request.

I tried changing the 'for all active threads in current thread group'
option but this just changes the way the throughput is calculated not
_when_ it is calculated.

I imagine there would probably be a performance penalty associated with
performing the calculation after every request though.

So was it decided to implement this in this fashion for performance
reasons? Would other people find it useful if there was a different option
for when to calculate it?

I don't _need_ it but it does niggle and I think calculating it per request
is more intuitive behavior. I was just wondering what other peoples
thoughts on this were.

Thanks,
James

RE: Constant throughput timer question

Posted by Labudu Gopanna <La...@cybage.com>.
Hi all,

I am using jmeter 2.2 version, I am trying to login through jmeter,

I have followed below steps:
1. I am adding HTTP authorization manager to thread group in test plan
and I am inserting url, username and password.

2. I am adding one HTTP request. It is having the inner URL(home page)
3. I am adding listener->view results tree.

Then I am doing start the test plan from run menu. The result is showing
pass, but View results tree doesn't show the snap shot of given URL web
page for HTTP Request sample. It shows logout page(it should show the
given URL web page). I Don't know what concepts are behind this

The snap shot we can see from view results tree->response data
tab->render html radio button.

Please help me to do above explained thing.

Regards
Labudu Gopanna,

Which version of JMeter are you using? There was an update to this in
version 2.2.

You may find you get better results if you do the calculation as "this
thread only".

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.