Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Rob Decker <ro...@objectsource.org> on 2005/04/29 21:10:12 UTC

struts-faces mailing list

Is there a mailing list for struts-faces? There is very little on the struts website.
I don't even see lists for struts itself.

--
Rob

@objectsource.org

Posted by Rob Decker <ro...@objectsource.org>.
Actually I got it working once I removed tiles from the mix but it works
well enough for what I need. I may be missing something with tiles but for
now it's not that important.

I think I gave it a fair effort to convert to JSF, mainly to get a decent
understanding of it to see how it could be useful. If it turned out I
converted the entire app in the time I had that would of been fine. While it
didn't turn out that way I learned enough about JSF to take my project in
the proper direction it needs to go with certainty.

Embedding a JSF component <f:view></f:view> in the middle of a jsp page for
a specific purpose like I am for the tree component is actually a better
solution for my project. I can use bookmarks for looking at specifics
objects in my app and for predefined searches and offer browsing with the
tree component which gives a more intuitive view to the user.

If I find other places where a component offers useful functionality I can
add it in as needed. I like the concepts behind JSF. But I think trying to
sell it as an all or nothing option is not the way to go. JSF needs to play
nice with JSP. Until it does, hopefully, in 1.2 (quite a ways off actually),
using a component here and there embedded in a JSP page is going to be the
most useful both for the applications and to give components a chance to
mature in a variety of live environments.

Rob

@objectsource.org

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Decker <ro...@objectsource.org>.
I have an existing app written with struts actions and JSTL in jsp. I just want to add
the tree component so people can browse my data. I tried to convert the whole app to
JSF but it is taking too long.

There are just too many bugs/inconsistencies to figure out. It took me two weeks to
write the original struts app. I spent a month trying to convert it to JSF and it
looks like I'll spend another month at least if I continue on that route. I don't even
know if it will work unless I write all the components to fit what I need. I have a
client to deliver to. The UI is only a small part of my application for now.

Another thing is that I don't want to lose bookmarks. It's actually something my
client wants and I had to write the struts app so I could bookmark any particular item
being shown. Integrating the tree component for browsing with the existing struts app
would actually work out much nicer for me in that respect.

>From a JSF perspective I just need the tree to display, open and close and only load
the nodes that are visible, which is what I have now. Everything in the facets shown
can link back out to the struts parts of the app.

I've actually got the tree showing up correctly on the page, even with call it with
the .do struts naming. I just need to figure out how to get it realize it needs to
deal with the tree when .faces is the extension and struts actions when .do is.

If I could do that I can have the <f:view> in the middle of my jsp page with the tree
and the rest of my jsp working in struts mode all around it.

When I goto mypage.do it loads fine, shows the tree, shows my struts/jstl jsp stuff.
When I click a tree node it tries to go to Mypage.faces and blows up on
tag.getAsString I guess because faces is now trying to parse the page. But if I go
back to mypage.do, the node I clicked is now opened. So it works, I just have to get
it to go to mypage.do instead of Mypage.faces when I click a node and make sure all
the facet links go back out to mypage.do, that last being the easy part.

--
Rob

@objectsource.org

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.