Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Neal Kaiser <ne...@makeastore.com> on 2001/01/15 04:42:40 UTC

Help Debug Form Error?

I have a strange problem. I have a simple form that is making use of some
<form: tags.  Everything works fine until I get to this line:

<form:text property="AddressBook_company" maxlength="30" size="25"/>

The page stops loading and the following exception is thrown:

1/14/01 10:29 PM galacyWeb: Servlet error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/struts/upload/MultipartRequestHandler
        at java.lang.Class.getMethods0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1039)
        at java.beans.Introspector$1.run(Introspector.java:852)
        at
java.beans.Introspector.getPublicDeclaredMethods(Introspector.java:850)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getTargetEventInfo(Introspector.java:556)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:294)
        at java.beans.Introspector.<init>(Introspector.java:271)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:81)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptors(PropertyUtils.ja
va:452)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor(PropertyUtils.jav
a:419)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyUtils.getSimpleProperty(PropertyUtils.java:56
3)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyUtils.getNestedProperty(PropertyUtils.java:33
8)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyUtils.getProperty(PropertyUtils.java:363)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.BeanUtils.getScalarProperty(BeanUtils.java:524)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.form.BaseFieldTag.doStartTag(BaseFieldTag.java:177)
        at /register.jsp._jspService(/register.jsp.java:83) (JSP page line
107)
        at com.orionserver.http.OrionHttpJspPage.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.xi(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet.service(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.sv(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.st(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.eh.s0(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.eh.do(JAX)
        at com.evermind.util.f.run(JAX)

I've checked my RegistrationForm.java and it looks OK. There is a get/set
method for AddressBook_company.
Could it be the "_" throwing it off?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks.

RE: Help Debug Form Error? - Can ActionForms be Serialized ?

Posted by Neal Kaiser <ne...@makeastore.com>.
Thanks, I already did that. I just got it working, FYI. It was an Orion
abnormality.
I had to move the struts.jar to orion/lib instead of WEB-INF/lib and move my
classes
to orion/lib as well.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Neal Kaiser wrote:

> This is a long shot, but one difference between my ActionForm and the
> one from the struts example is that my ActionForm implements
> java.io.Serializable
> (and of course extends ActionForm).  I do this because my Action Form is
> eventually
> passed to an EJB.  Could that somehow break struts?

ActionForm is already defined to be Serializable in the current 1.0 code, so
that will not make any difference.

There have been various reports of problems on various versions of Orion in the
past.  In the most recent versions, my understanding is that you have to extract
the properties files out of struts.jar and place them (unpacked) under
WEB-INF/classes due to bugs in the Orion classloader.

> Thanks.

Craig McClanahan

Posted by Neal Kaiser <ne...@makeastore.com>.

RE: Help Debug Form Error?

Posted by Neal Kaiser <ne...@makeastore.com>.
Also, FYI, I updated to last night's struts nightly build and I still have
the
same problem.  For what it's worth, here's the genereated registration.jsp
servlet
snippet that's causing the error:

 // <form:text size="25" maxlength="30" property="addressBook_company"/>