Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Emmanouil Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com> on 2005/09/02 16:06:10 UTC

groups roles etc

I would like to extend lenya in order to be able and assign user rights per
document or document group (meaning doc and subdocs). My understanding is
that right now roles have a global effect, so an editor can edit any
document.

What i want to do is

* keep the existing mechanism of assigning roles (named groups) to users but
without the roles having an actual effect

* use the roles to pick users and assign them as, for example, editors to a
document (or document tree).

It could be that i am wrong and there are better ways to do this (per
publication perhaps?). If anyone could give some pointers for a head start i
would really appreciate it :-)

Many thanks,

Manos

Re: groups roles etc

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
On Tuesday 13 September 2005 18:33, Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Ok, this one isn't very user friendly ;) but, edit the policy
> [pubname]/config/ac/policies/authoring/subtree-policy.acml like so:

Right, no problem with XML, i'll read up on ACML and work this out, many
thanks. I just thought i had the wrong lenya version!

Thanks again,

Manos

Re: groups roles etc

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Emmanouil Batsis wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Many thanks for your answer.
>
> On Friday 02 September 2005 19:00, Doug Chestnut wrote:
>
>>if document /departments/hr needs to have editors that are able to edit
>>only the document hr and subdocuments:
>>make a new group hrEditor
>

> Ok
>

>>add visit role to hrEditor group for the root of the publication

Ok, this one isn't very user friendly ;) but, edit the policy
[pubname]/config/ac/policies/authoring/subtree-policy.acml like so:

<policy xmlns="http://apache.org/cocoon/lenya/ac/1.0">

   <group id="editor">
     <role id="edit"/>
   </group>

   <group id="hrEditor">
     <role id="visit"/>
   </group>

   <group id="reviewer">
     <role id="review"/>
   </group>

</policy>

Seems like there needs to be a way to do this in the site gui.  Also, if
this wasn't just a simple example, I would make two new groups, hrEditor
and visitor, and give visitor the visit role on the authoring root of
the pub.

> Where do i get these roles? I only see groups and those only have
> name/description. Essentially, groups in lenya are roles from what i see.

next, select your hr document under the "site" tab,
click on "AC Auth",
select your hrEditor group,
select the role of edit,
click add

HTH
--Doug

Re: groups roles etc

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
Doug,

Many thanks for your answer.

On Friday 02 September 2005 19:00, Doug Chestnut wrote:
> if document /departments/hr needs to have editors that are able to edit
> only the document hr and subdocuments:
> make a new group hrEditor

Ok

> add visit role to hrEditor group for the root of the publication

Where do i get these roles? I only see groups and those only have
name/description. Essentially, groups in lenya are roles from what i see.

I've checked out lenya like

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk lenya-1.4.x

what am i missing?

Thanks,

Manos

Re: groups roles etc

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but you should be able to do this now:

The default publication has the following permissions for edit role:
group: editor
role: edit
the entire publication

if document /departments/hr needs to have editors that are able to edit
only the document hr and subdocuments:
make a new group hrEditor
add visit role to hrEditor group for the root of the publication
add edit role to hrEditor group for the /departments/hr document
add users to group hrEditor
If you want /departments/hr specific reviewers, do the same as above for
an hrReviewer group.

This should allow members of the group "hrEditor" to have edit
permissions for /departments/hr document and subdocuments.  Adding the
visit role will allow them to browse around in the authoring area
without adding them to the "editor" or "reviewer" groups.

Reserve the "editor" and "reviewer" groups to site-wide editors and
reviewers.

HTH
--Doug