Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Tao Lin <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/28 04:16:11 UTC

GSoC 2014 on LUCENE-466: Need QueryParser support for BooleanQuery.minNrShouldMatch

Hello,

My name is Tao Lin, a Chinese student from Beijing Normal University Zhuhai
Campus. It's great to see that Han Jiang (also a Chinese student) has
already contributed to Lucene in GSoC 2012 and 2013. Likewise, I'd like to
participant GSoC 2014, on the project of LUCENE-466 [1] (Need QueryParser
support for BooleanQuery.minNrShouldMatch). Is this lucene dev mailing list
the place to discuss gsoc projects? Who will be the mentor(s) for this
project? I see the Assignee of LUCENE-466 is Yonik Seeley. How can I get in
touch with him? Is LUCENE-466 still available as a GSoC 2014 student
project?

For a brief self-introduction, I've successfully completed 2 open source
GSoC projects:
- In GSoC 2011, I worked for Languagetool [2] to develop a Lucene-based
indexing tool that makes it possible to run proof-reading rule against a
large amount of text.
- In GSoC 2012, I added the RDFa metadata support for Apache ODF Toolkit
[3].

Yours,
Tao Lin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-466

[2] http://www.languagetool.org/gsoc2011/

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-50

Re: GSoC 2014 on LUCENE-466: Need QueryParser support for BooleanQuery.minNrShouldMatch

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I think a good place to start is on the issue itself.

E.g. add a comment expressing that you're interested in this issue,
maybe summarize roughly what's entailed.  E.g., that issue is quite
old, and the first part of it (supporting minShouldMatch in BQ) has
already been done, so all that remains is fixing QueryParsers to
accept it, if they don't already?  I'm not sure, but just this part
may be too little for a whole summer?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com