Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@apache.org> on 2016/05/03 02:13:17 UTC

May podling report draft

Hey folks,

Our quarterly report is due on Wednesday. Here's a draft below. LMK if
anyone has suggestions on things to change or add.

If we manage to get the mailing list change done or the website moved by
Wednesday, I'll update accordingly.

-Todd

--------------------
Kudu

Kudu is a distributed columnar storage engine built for the Apache Hadoop
ecosystem.

Kudu has been incubating since 2015-12-03.

  1. Build a more diverse developer and user community
  2. Migrate our web site under apache.org
  3. Continue to make regular Apache releases

aware of?

None.

- The PPMC invited Binglin Chang as a new committer and PPMC member. Binglin
  has continued to increase his involvement and some of his colleagues are
now
  becoming more involved as well.

- Since the last report, we had contributions from several new contributors,
  including five new contributors from outside Cloudera (the initial code
  grantor). Of those, two were substantial pieces of new functionality: a
new
  sink to ingest data from Apache Flume, and an improved integration with
  Apache Spark. We hope that the authors of these contributions will
continue
  to be involved in the community and grow into committers.

- In March, one of our mentors approached the development community with
some
  ideas to make the project more approachable for developers. As a result
  of this, we've been working on a few action items:

  1) We started a project blog and have been posting weekly updates on
development
  progress as well as more detailed posts on new features or project news.
  We've heard from community members that this is an easy way to track
  the project without subscribing to high-volume dev lists.

  2) Our dev@ list is currently very noisy with a lot of code review
comments.
  For more casual contributors this can be overwhelming as code review
  is intermingled with higher level project discussions. The community
  discussed the issue and decided to split the code review traffic to a new
  mailing list (INFRA-11797)

  3) We've started an informal policy of emailing the dev list with a
heads-up
  whenever any new larger feature first shows up on gerrit or JIRA, to make
it
  easier for people to give input on large items without having to see every
  bug fix or small improvement. For example, whenever design discussion
starts
  on a new feature, the contributor sends a 'heads-up' email to dev@.

- Development activity continues to be healthy. Mailing list traffic for the
  dev list in April and May was similar to the proceeding months. Patch
  contribution level is also fairly stable (50-80 commits/month) with lulls
  around releases as people focus on release testing, documentation, etc.

- User mailing list traffic is steadily increasing in quantity and
diversity:
  108 messages in April vs 51 in March, 40 in Feb. April saw 26 distinct
people
  contribute to the user list discussion vs 15 in Feb. Website traffic also
  indicates growing interest, with April having 30% more traffic than Feb.

- In the last two months, Kudu-related talks were delivered in San
Francisco,
  San Jose, Beijing, Boston, DC, Detroit, London, and Dublin. More talks
  are scheduled for the upcoming months at ApacheCon Big Data,
Strata/Hadoop World,
  Berlin Buzzwords, and various local meetups.

Since the last report, we've accomplished the following milestones:

- We released Apache Kudu 0.7.1-incubating on 3/9/2016 to fix a few issues
  found in the 0.7.0 release.
- We released Apache Kudu 0.8.0-incubating on 4/10/2016 with various new
  features and improvements.

Date of last release:

  April 10, 2016: Apache Kudu 0.8.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  - Binglin Chang was added as a committer and PPMC member on April 4, 2016.

Re: May podling report draft

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
looks good

-Jake

Re: May podling report draft

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Looks good Todd.
> >
> > I don't think that having the HTTP redirect working is required in order
> > report progress on the site migration. We can easily mirror the current
> > site to kudu.i.a.o and talk about how we are in the process of winding
> down
> > the old domain with a redirect.
> >

> I'm worried that having both domains active at the same time will hurt our
> SEO mojo -- splitting the same site in two places, etc. Do you think
> Google's smart enough to detect the
> duplicate-but-not-hosted-by-the-same-server site and combine its ranking?

Well, I should preface by saying I don't keep up with all the latest SEO
rules. However based on my old knowledge of SEO, you are right that Google
will detect duplicate content and I think it will initially get punished
until the 301 redirects go up. Then it will still get some penalty until
more people have inbound links to the new web site. Changing domains isn't
free in SEO terms. It will also hurt us going from a top-level domain
kudu.io to a 4th-level subdomain kudu.a.i.o. I agree we should minimize the
time it's up as dup content without the redirects, but in the long run I
doubt it's going to make much of a difference.

On the other hand, ultimately, having apache in the domain name will help
if people search for Apache Kudu. Google likes that.

Mike

Re: May podling report draft

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Looks good Todd.
>
> I don't think that having the HTTP redirect working is required in order to
> report progress on the site migration. We can easily mirror the current
> site to kudu.i.a.o and talk about how we are in the process of winding down
> the old domain with a redirect.

I'm worried that having both domains active at the same time will hurt our
SEO mojo -- splitting the same site in two places, etc. Do you think
Google's smart enough to detect the
duplicate-but-not-hosted-by-the-same-server site and combine its ranking?

> Additionally, since May 4 is two weeks prior to the board mtg, we may be
> able to sneak in updates after May 4, if that helps. We could ask our
> mentors to hold off on signing off on the report for a couple days.

True

> Also, one typo nit: s/proceeding months/preceding months/

Thanks, will fix.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera