Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2000/02/05 21:22:35 UTC

[Fwd: installing win32 Apache 1.3.11 as Service]

Anyone care to assist?  He tried USENET with apparently no luck..
and that's where we usually send people.
--
#ken    P-)}

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

Re: [Fwd: installing win32 Apache 1.3.11 as Service]

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
Note that this user's problem is that he isn't running NT (he doesn't
explicitly state it, but... read the words and you can figure it out), so
can't install it as a service service.

He wants to install it as a whatever-the-win9x-things-on-the-menubar-are
thing.  AFAIK, that isn't supported so it won't work.  Simple.

I had thought someone added support for that recently, but must be
dreaming.

RE: [Fwd: installing win32 Apache 1.3.11 as Service]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
> Now I'm confused:
>
> So what is "-i" for?
>
> I always use it and it works perfectly....

It should - that's what the 'Install Apache as Service' icon does.

> Note that this user's problem is that he isn't running NT (he doesn't
> explicitly state it, but... read the words and you can figure it out), so
> can't install it as a service service.

Good point...

 1) Revise the FAQ I just threw out there to specify 'Windows NT or Windows
2000'.

 2) Add the point

  Windows 95 and 98 do not support Win32 service management.   Apache CANNOT
run as a service under Windows 95 or 98.

 3) Add the point

  The Apache Foundation is considering the many requests to add additional
support for a Taskbar icon to control Apache, as well as limited service
support under Windows 95 and 98.  DO NOT add further requests for these
features in the bug report database.

Re: [Fwd: installing win32 Apache 1.3.11 as Service]

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@elmar.co.il>.
Now I'm confused:

So what is "-i" for?

I always use it and it works perfectly....

--
Eli Marmor

RE: [Fwd: installing win32 Apache 1.3.11 as Service]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
He is right - the docs are stale.

Unfortunatly, not many amature NT hacks out there understand what a service
is, never mind how to start/stop one.  Guess it's up to us to explain to
those NT admins what a 'Service' is?

The ones that scare me are the NT4 - SP5 reports!  I'm investigating.

Would someone please forward to the poor user, and the rest of you consider
posting this in the FAQ.  [I do not recall seeing this Q on
news:comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows - you might also point out the
proper group.]

FOR THE FAQ:
Running Apache as a Windows NT Service:

  YOU MUST log in as the Administrator to perform these steps.  (Yes;
technically a user with proper rights can do so, but this FAQ is for the 99%
of users who are not prepared to set up such a user account).

  Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and double click on Services (two
gears).

  If Apache does not appear in the list, close the Services and Control
Panel windows and use;

       Start -> Programs -> Apache Web Server -> Install Apache as Service

    and Try the first step again.

    NOTE: Versions prior to 1.3.11 may not perform this step properly.
Please download the latest Win32 release of Apache from _____________.

  Select Apache from the list of services.

  You can click on the 'Start' or 'Stop' button to manually control the
service.  If you change httpd.conf or any other configuration file, you will
have to 'Stop' and 'Start' again for the changes to take effect.

  You can also click on the 'Startup..' button to alter what the Apache
service does each time you boot.

	'Automatic' will start it every time you boot.

	'Manual' will start it only if Start the Apache service, as described
above.

      'Disable' will prevent Apache from starting as a service.

  Within the 'Startup...' button's dialog you can also change the 'Log On
As' option.  But be warned:

    Clicking the 'Allow Service to interact with Desktop' will create many
CMD windows that you probably don't want to see.  Leave this option
_un_checked

    Changing from the System Account to a specific user account will have
many ramifications, you must thoroughly understand Windows NT security
before making this change.

Note that the Apache Foundation does not provide support for Windows NT
administration (nor server administration for any platform), but you may be
able to find help in the newsgroup