Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Wesley de Graaf <We...@workspace365.net> on 2020/04/06 12:28:12 UTC

Capslock not working in RDP

Hi,

It looks like CAPS Lock is not working in the latest stable guacamole version, build 1.1, xFreeRDP 2.0.0-rc4, keyboard layout: Default.

  1.  Open RDP session via guacamole
  2.  Open Wordpad for example
  3.  Press CAPS LOCK on your keyboard, You’ll see that the CAPS LOCK is activated in WordPad but the keys you send are still received in lower case.

I’ve found this article on the internet: https://kb.virginiacyberrange.org/troubleshooting/caps-lock-bug.html

The Workaround they specify here is working, but that’s not a workable situation if you want to use the caps lock. It looks like when the CAPS LOCK is enabled the keys are still forwarded lower case ?

Kind regards,

Wesley

RE: Capslock not working in RDP

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
Yes, I am facing the same issue, even with the latest code of guacamole from git.

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
In my specific case, I'm connecting to a Windows 10 RDP service with both Firefox and Chrome (same issue). Pressing CAPS LOCK does not print capital letters, but it creates havoc with key combos like CTRL-C, CTRL-V, etc.

To reproduce:
Open LibreOffice or Microsoft Office app (like Outlook), press CAPS LOCK then CTRL-C on some text within any one of these apps. Then CTRL-V. You'll see it triggers menu shortcuts instead of copying and pasting text.

RE: Capslock not working in RDP

Posted by Wesley de Graaf <We...@workspace365.net>.
Hi,

So to clarify the issue we have, I've tested it with the latest versions of guac-server and guac-client (1.1.0) on Ubuntu 18.04.

Test setup: RDP to Windows server 2016, RDP to Windows server 2019.

Both scenario's, not depending on the keyboard settings, the Caps lock is not working as expected. When opening the RDP session everything is working as expected. But when pressing the Caps lock you see that the caps lock is enabled on the remote server but the input you type will still be non-capital letters...

When you open the on-creen keyboard in the RDP session and you enable the caps lock there, it is working for some reason..

Are there any suggestions on this on how to fix it, we've checked everything but can't seem to get it working.

Kind regards,

Wesley

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

I know that server-layout should be set to whatever layout is on the RDP server. However, if I do so in y case then CAPS Lock fails to work properly (it either prints all uppercase even if you then disable CAPS Lock by pressing the key again, or it prints everything lowercase, regardless). Key combinations such as CTRL-C & CGTRL-V work "fine" (even though at some point with Office applications, these keys do not copy/paste anymore but trigger app-specific menu options such as file open or file save...).

Anyway, back to the caps lock issue.  I noticed that if I set server-layout=failsafe, the CAPS Lock key works as expected (great!). However, CTRL-C and CTRL-V do nothing at all.

I presume it's a freerdp issue.

Vieri

RE: Capslock not working in RDP

Posted by Wesley de Graaf <We...@workspace365.net>.
I did some additional research and we are using the following settings:

On client side we use the following keyboard layout: NLD (INTL) or ENG (NL) and on the RDP server we use ENG (English united states – Keyboard United states) or NLD (Dutch – Dutch Keyboard Unites states)

Client:

[cid:image002.png@01D613F6.171E1BA0]

RDP:
[cid:image003.png@01D613F6.171E1BA0]

Any suggestions on this ?

Kind regards,

Wesley

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Allen Chen <ac...@harbourfrontcentre.com>.
On 07/04/2020 6:40 a.m., Piviul wrote:
> Wesley de Graaf ha scritto il 07/04/20 alle 09:52:
>> Hi Allen,
>>
>> Later on, I did find out when setting the keyboard on “Unicode” it is
>> working as expected. Our default keyboard layout is the US English
>> (qwerty). So when using the US English (Qwerty) keyboard layout its
>> not working.
> I have no problems too with caps lock in guacamole... AFAIK the
> keyboard layout you have to set on the RDP connection should be the
> keyboard layout that is set as default on the rdp server.
>
> I have configured some guacamole RDP connection to PCs with different
> keyboard layout (qwerty IT or qwerty US) and settings the guacamole
> RDP connection to have the keyboard layout used on the RDP server
> solve any keyboard layout problems.

I always set up keyboard layout everywhere the same way which is US
English wqerty. That's why I don't have the Caplock issue.

Allen

Re: Capslock not working in RDP

Posted by Piviul <pi...@riminilug.it>.
Wesley de Graaf ha scritto il 07/04/20 alle 09:52:
> Hi Allen,
>
> Later on, I did find out when setting the keyboard on “Unicode” it is
> working as expected. Our default keyboard layout is the US English
> (qwerty). So when using the US English (Qwerty) keyboard layout its not
> working.
I have no problems too with caps lock in guacamole... AFAIK the keyboard
layout you have to set on the RDP connection should be the keyboard
layout that is set as default on the rdp server.

I have configured some guacamole RDP connection to PCs with different
keyboard layout (qwerty IT or qwerty US) and settings the guacamole RDP
connection to have the keyboard layout used on the RDP server solve any
keyboard layout problems.

Piviul

RE: Capslock not working in RDP

Posted by Allen Chen <ac...@harbourfrontcentre.com>.