Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Frank Ritzmann <fr...@unilog.de> on 2002/02/05 08:40:25 UTC

ecs and jsp

hallo jetspeed-users,

I heard, that ecs won't be supported by jetspeed any longer.
would this mean, that there is no EcsServletElement anymore?

to me this element is the easiest way to integrate JSPs in portlets by just returning the EcsServletElement as a ConcreteElement.
using the JspPortlet would mean, that I have to set my parameter beans into the session within my JSP but that is not like MVC.

if this element  is not available anymore, I will think about copying the getContent of JspPortlet and adding my parameter controlling and identifying the active portlet for not losing my actual content when a user interacts with another portlet.

thank you for reading and answering
Frank Ritzmann

Re: ecs and jsp

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Frank Ritzmann wrote:

>hallo jetspeed-users,
>
>I heard, that ecs won't be supported by jetspeed any longer.
>would this mean, that there is no EcsServletElement anymore?
>
>to me this element is the easiest way to integrate JSPs in portlets by just returning the EcsServletElement as a ConcreteElement.

There are scalability problems in the ECS architecture. If the system is
preparing pages simultaneously for a lot of users it will have to create
and manipulate trees of ECS objects, which will be discarded later.
While some of these trees can be cached, it is difficult for dynamic
content. So memory and garbage collection soon become a problem.

So, a decision was made to use streaming solutions, where the JSP is
handled the response stream and it writes to it. For low volume
applications you can use solutions similar to ECS, but the architecture
is cleaner if you use streams for aggregation.

(Except when an error happens in the middle of the page generation
process. :-)

Re: ecs and jsp

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Frank,
I have also seen similar comments.  Currently their is not a
getContent() that does not contain an ECS class in AbstractPortlet, so I
do not know what will replace ECS.  In addition I do not know the
reasons for the comments.  May be someone tell us why ECS will not be
supported in future versions of Jetspeed.

Paul Spencer