Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Karr <br...@brainbuz.org> on 2011/12/24 02:17:12 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_auth_form and digest authentication

Version of Apache 2.3.15

The documentation for mod_auth_form says that it works with digest or basic
authentication. I have it working with basic authentication from a database,
but I can't find anything about how to switch over to digest. There are two
reasons for wanting to do this, first if your users already have passwords
encrypted in digest format, second the normal digest HTTP_AUTHORIZATION does
not include the password in clear text and would not need mod_session_crypto
if that value were used for the session.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_form and digest authentication

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by John Karr <br...@brainbuz.org>.
I couldn't figure out how to get digest authentication working with mod_auth_form, the documentation mentions it once, but offers no specifics and I was unable to guess it (I even tried looking at the source for comments that might help).

Now as to why I would rather use digest authentication, I have been unsuccessful in compiling mod_session_crypto. A site that had been using Digest would obviously have the bigger concern of preserving user passwords. It happens that for the property I'm hoping to deploy mod_auth_form on the next release I have most of the passwords in both digest and htpasswd compatible formats. Based on the pace of the release cycle I don't expect an official Ubuntu package until end of October 2012, since apache httpd 2.3 isn't in Sid I can't assume a working package through Debian anytime soon.

I would prefer the stronger cryptography of mod_session_crypto, or a cryptographically enhanced version of digest if one was available. Since I store both password forms in my database I can use digest now and then switch later.

> The documentation for mod_auth_form says that it works with digest or
> basic

Actually, mod_auth_form should work with any kind of authentication system that you come up with, since it essentially gives up control to you and your application

> authentication. I have it working with basic authentication from a
> database, but I can't find anything about how to switch over to
> digest. There are two reasons for wanting to do this, first if your
> users already have passwords encrypted in digest format, second the
> normal digest HTTP_AUTHORIZATION does not include the password in
> clear text and would not need mod_session_crypto if that value were
> used for the session.

Is there a specific reason why you do not want to, or cannot use mod_session_crypto?

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org