Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Richter <sp...@marc-richter.info> on 2010/08/15 15:57:57 UTC

Initial setup of SA - please help.

Hello,

I'm using SA since 5 years now. Yesterday I was switching my Debian
system to a gentoo Server and had to reinstall SA this way. I thought I
transfered the config nearly identical, but it seems to not be the case,
since I get results in filtering, which I dont understand:

http://pastebin.com/Rhj2UMLS

I don't understand 3 things:

1)
Why is it recognized as not beeing spam, although the required score is
3.0 and the actual score is 101.0?
Is this because of points 2) and 3)?

2)
Why does ALL_TRUSTED hit here? I haven't configured mx0.gmx.net anywhere.

3)
Why does USER_IN_WHITELIST apply here? "iyeboxfzpfj <zy...@alxhkv.com>"
is noone I've put onto any whitelist.

In the user_prefs of user "ww" the only "WHITE" - Thing is:
whitelist_from          *@web-factory.de
whitelist_from          *@marketing-factory.de

which is my company's domain.

Here's my whole global SA config:

http://pastebin.com/DixnLNmv

Could anybody please give me a hint with this?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Marc

Re: Initial setup of SA - please help.

Posted by Marc Richter <sp...@marc-richter.info>.
Hi J.K.

No, it seemes as if my server really sent it, not only that the from -
matched. Seems as if an open Webformular sent it.

But thank you anyway.

Posted by Josef Karliak <ka...@ajetaci.cz>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Wolfgang Zeikat <wo...@desy.de>.
In an older episode, on 2010-08-15 15:57, Marc Richter wrote:

> http://pastebin.com/Rhj2UMLS
>
> I don't understand 3 things:
>
> 1)
> Why is it recognized as not beeing spam, although the required score is
> 3.0 and the actual score is 101.0?

It says "score=-101.0", that is *not* the same as "score=101.0". A
negative score is "positive" == non spam.

> Is this because of points 2) and 3)?

AFAIK, that is because of USER_IN_WHITELIST, yes.

> 3)
> Why does USER_IN_WHITELIST apply here? "iyeboxfzpfj <zy...@alxhkv.com>"
> is noone I've put onto any whitelist.

If I am not mistaken, a score of -100 indicates that a
whitelist_from_rcvd rule has matched - that is a combination of sender
address plus received header, see
  man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

Maybe try to grep for whitelist_from_rcvd in your configuration direcotries.

Hope this helps,

wolfgang

Re: Initial setup of SA - please help.

Posted by Marc Richter <sp...@marc-richter.info>.
Hi @all,

I just had a chat with wolfgang by phone, and we discovered, that a
Webformular on my own site seems to deliver this spam to my GMX -
Account richter_marc -at- gmx.net .
This would explaid this result: When my own server is the initial
sender, it's clear why the USER_IN_WHITELIST - Test hits.
It seems as if I just read the header wrong, sorry.

I'll have a closer look to this, and I'll write again if I'm still
experiencing something, I don't get.

Thank you all so far!

Am 15.08.2010 16:46, schrieb John Hardin:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Marc Richter wrote:
>
>> http://pastebin.com/Rhj2UMLS
>>
>> I don't understand 3 things:
>>
>> 1) Why is it recognized as not beeing spam, although the required score
>> is 3.0 and the actual score is 101.0?
>
> Look a little closer. The actual score is -101.0 (negative).

Yeah, I already saw my error, thank you. 1) is 100% solved because of
that ;)

>> Is this because of points 2) and 3)?
>>
>> 2) Why does ALL_TRUSTED hit here? I haven't configured mx0.gmx.net
>> anywhere.
>
> Odd. I'd have expected pop.gmx.net to have prevented ALL_TRUSTED. I
> can't suggest why this might have occurred, perhaps one of the devs a
> little closer to that code will comment.
>
> ALL_TRUSTED isn't by itself contributing to the problem, but it is
> useful as a symptom.
>
>> 3) Why does USER_IN_WHITELIST apply here? "iyeboxfzpfj
>> <zy...@alxhkv.com>" is noone I've put onto any whitelist.
>>
>> In the user_prefs of user "ww" the only "WHITE" - Thing is:
>> whitelist_from *@web-factory.de
>> whitelist_from *@marketing-factory.de
>>
>> which is my company's domain.
>
> As I just recommended to someone else, do not use whitelist_from except
> as a last resort. It is trivially easy for a spammer to leverage as it
> does not verification that the From address is not forged.

You're right. Up till today (may be subject to change, since I told it
here in public ;) ) there has not a single spam arrived my because of
this whitelist.

>> Here's my whole global SA config:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/DixnLNmv
>
> I note you're using whitelist_from_rcvd in your global config. Good.
>
> However, changing the required_score to 3.0 is not recommended. All of
> the scores assigned by the masscheck system are targeted at a
> required_score of 5.0, and if you lower that without making any
> adjustment to rule scores then you are likely going to increase your
> false positive rate.

I know, but the suggested 5.0 result in a too high false ham rate to me.
I'm having an eye to the filtered ones. They're not deleted, but
collected in a seperate box, which I check frequently. The FP - Rate is
extreemely low (2-5 in a whole year!) and even when this happens, they
had never been "autolearned" as spam up to today.

> Can you post the ww user's config too?

I's nearly empty. Just the two whitelist_from entrys are from that file.

>> Could anybody please give me a hint with this?
>
> The whitelist hit is what's hurting the most.
>
> You should also take a look at your bayes, after we resolve the
> whitelist problem.

OK, I'll keep that in mind :)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Marc Richter wrote:

> http://pastebin.com/Rhj2UMLS
>
> I don't understand 3 things:
>
> 1)  Why is it recognized as not beeing spam, although the required score
>  is 3.0 and the actual score is 101.0?

Look a little closer. The actual score is -101.0 (negative).

> Is this because of points 2) and 3)?
>
> 2)  Why does ALL_TRUSTED hit here? I haven't configured mx0.gmx.net
>  anywhere.

Odd. I'd have expected pop.gmx.net to have prevented ALL_TRUSTED. I can't
suggest why this might have occurred, perhaps one of the devs a little
closer to that code will comment.

ALL_TRUSTED isn't by itself contributing to the problem, but it is useful
as a symptom.

> 3)  Why does USER_IN_WHITELIST apply here? "iyeboxfzpfj
>  <zy...@alxhkv.com>" is noone I've put onto any whitelist.
>
> In the user_prefs of user "ww" the only "WHITE" - Thing is:
> whitelist_from          *@web-factory.de
> whitelist_from          *@marketing-factory.de
>
> which is my company's domain.

As I just recommended to someone else, do not use whitelist_from except as
a last resort. It is trivially easy for a spammer to leverage as it does
not verification that the From address is not forged.

> Here's my whole global SA config:
>
> http://pastebin.com/DixnLNmv

I note you're using whitelist_from_rcvd in your global config. Good.

However, changing the required_score to 3.0 is not recommended. All of the
scores assigned by the masscheck system are targeted at a required_score
of 5.0, and if you lower that without making any adjustment to rule scores
then you are likely going to increase your false positive rate.

Can you post the ww user's config too?

> Could anybody please give me a hint with this?

The whitelist hit is what's hurting the most.

You should also take a look at your bayes, after we resolve the whitelist
problem.

   Vista is at best mildly annoying and at worst makes you want to
   rush to Redmond, Wash. and rip somebody's liver out.      -- Forbes
  Today: the 65th anniversary of the end of World War II