Posted to users@hudi.apache.org by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> on 2021/12/13 18:01:02 UTC

Regular minor/patch releases

Hi all,

In the past we had plans for minor releases [1], but invariably we end up
doing major ones, which also deliver the bug fixes.

The reason was the cost involved in doing a release. We have made some good
progress towards regression/integration test, which prompts me to revive
this.

What does everyone think about a monthly bugfix release on the last
major/minor version. (not on every major release, we still don't have
enough contributors to pull that off IMO). So we would be trying to do a
0.10.1 early jan for e.g, in this model?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HUDI/Release+Management

Thanks
Vinoth

Re: Regular minor/patch releases

Posted by Raymond Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to patch release as needed

Question: for a minor release, do we cherry-pick commits needed from master
or only land patches until the minor release is cut? The former can be
quite troublesome in resolving conflicts.

--
Best,
Raymond

Posted by Raymond Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to patch release as needed

Posted by Rubens Rodrigues <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Y Ethan Guo <et...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Y Ethan Guo <et...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Chan <da...@apache.org>.
> on top of the latest major version

Do you mean to include small features ? I would say that is not a good idea.

In general, we need the minor versions to converge the bugs introduced
by the major version,  and 0.10.x is better because people know that
it is a quick follower after 0.10.0 to handle the bug fixes.

Best,
Danny

Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> 于2021年12月29日周三 10:12写道:

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > We could create new branches such as release-0.10 as the master branch
> for
> > 0.10.0, 0.10.1 .etc version release, and when fixing bugs against the
> > master branch, the contributors/committers should also open a new PR
> > against the release-0.10 branch if needed. That would avoid
> cherry-picking
> > all bug fixes from master to release-0.10 at one time and cause so many
> > conflicts. You would see the Spark[1] and Flink[2] community also
> > maintaining a multi-master branch as well.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/branch-3.1
> > https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/branch-3.2
> > [2] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/release-1.12
> > https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/release-1.13
> >
> > vino yang <ya...@gmail.com> 于2021年12月15日周三 18:12写道:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > Agree that minor release mostly for bug fix purpose.

-Sivabalan

Re: Regular minor/patch releases

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by leesf <le...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Danny Chan <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
+1 in general. but yeah, not sure if we have resources to do this for every
major release.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:01 AM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past we had plans for minor releases [1], but invariably we end up
> doing major ones, which also deliver the bug fixes.
>
> The reason was the cost involved in doing a release. We have made some good
> progress towards regression/integration test, which prompts me to revive
> this.
>
> What does everyone think about a monthly bugfix release on the last
> major/minor version. (not on every major release, we still don't have
> enough contributors to pull that off IMO). So we would be trying to do a
> 0.10.1 early jan for e.g, in this model?
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HUDI/Release+Management
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth

-Sivabalan

Re: Regular minor/patch releases

Posted by Sivabalan <n....@gmail.com>.
+1 in general. but yeah, not sure if we have resources to do this for every
major release.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:01 AM Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past we had plans for minor releases [1], but invariably we end up
> doing major ones, which also deliver the bug fixes.
>
> The reason was the cost involved in doing a release. We have made some good
> progress towards regression/integration test, which prompts me to revive
> this.
>
> What does everyone think about a monthly bugfix release on the last
> major/minor version. (not on every major release, we still don't have
> enough contributors to pull that off IMO). So we would be trying to do a
> 0.10.1 early jan for e.g, in this model?
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HUDI/Release+Management
>
> Thanks
> Vinoth

-Sivabalan