Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by paul buttemer <pa...@pbreeds.com> on 2005/08/31 23:32:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache non-start on Solaris

Hello all (my first message),

I am unable to start Apache successfully - the httpd process starts, but
immediately disappears with no relevant error diagnostic.  Here are some
points:

- Apache version: 2.0.54 - absolutely default build and install (build and
install completed easily with no errors)
- Start command: apachectl -k start
- Running as root
- No core file
- LogLevel in conf file: debug
- OS: Solaris 7
- Hardware: SPARC Ultra 5
- pid file is created (but no process with this pid exists once command
prompt returns)
- nothing written to error_log, except on a subsequent start attempt, where
there is one entry warning
of the pid file being overwritten
- command prompt returns almost immediately, only output indicates httpd
cannot determine fully qualified domain name and uses IP address for ServerName
- there are no port conflicts
- there are no problems with permissions
- there is no other httpd running on the system

I have scoured the internet for help with this problem with no
success.  Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated

Best regards,
Paul Buttemer

Signup at www.doteasy.com

[users@httpd] Apache non-start on Solaris

Posted by paul buttemer <pa...@pbreeds.com>.
At 02:34 PM 31/08/2005, you wrote:
>paul buttemer wrote:
> > Hello all (my first message),
> >
> > I am unable to start Apache successfully - the httpd process starts, but
> > immediately disappears with no relevant error diagnostic.  Here are some
> > points:
> >
> > - Apache version: 2.0.54 - absolutely default build and install (build
> > and install completed easily with no errors)
> > - Start command: apachectl -k start
> > - Running as root
> > - No core file
> > - LogLevel in conf file: debug
> > - OS: Solaris 7
> > - Hardware: SPARC Ultra 5
> > - pid file is created (but no process with this pid exists once command
> > prompt returns)
> > - nothing written to error_log, except on a subsequent start attempt,
> > where there is one entry warning
> > of the pid file being overwritten
> > - command prompt returns almost immediately, only output indicates httpd
> > cannot determine fully qualified domain name and uses IP address for
> > ServerName
> > - there are no port conflicts
> > - there are no problems with permissions
> > - there is no other httpd running on the system
> >
> > I have scoured the internet for help with this problem with no success.
> > Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Paul Buttemer
> >

>How about starting the httpd process manually w/o using apachectl?
>Somethimes the httpd binary will spew out bad errors to stdout and not
>the errorlog, and this may be a way to catch it.
>
>THanks
>-dant

Have tried that :-(
Thanks
-pb

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache non-start on Solaris

Posted by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/05, paul buttemer <pa...@pbreeds.com> wrote:
> Hello all (my first message),
>
> I am unable to start Apache successfully - the httpd process starts, but
> immediately disappears with no relevant error diagnostic.  Here are some
> points:
>
> - Apache version: 2.0.54 - absolutely default build and install (build and
> install completed easily with no errors)
> - Start command: apachectl -k start
> - Running as root
> - No core file
> - LogLevel in conf file: debug
> - OS: Solaris 7
> - Hardware: SPARC Ultra 5
> - pid file is created (but no process with this pid exists once command
> prompt returns)
> - nothing written to error_log, except on a subsequent start attempt, where
> there is one entry warning
> of the pid file being overwritten
> - command prompt returns almost immediately, only output indicates httpd
> cannot determine fully qualified domain name and uses IP address for ServerName
> - there are no port conflicts
> - there are no problems with permissions
> - there is no other httpd running on the system
>
> I have scoured the internet for help with this problem with no
> success.  Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated

Try running under strace (or the solaris equivalent -- I don't
remember).  Also perhaps try httpd -X to run in single-process mode.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: Apache non-start on Solaris

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
paul buttemer said:
> Hello all (my first message),
>
> I am unable to start Apache successfully - the httpd process starts, but
> immediately disappears with no relevant error diagnostic.

Are you using _default_ in your vhost definitions? Solaris httpd will
crash with it, at least in Solaris 9 and lower (haven't tried it on 10 or
11beta)

Joost