Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/07/08 10:13:00 UTC

[HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
module.

I have to leave the office right now so cannot fix immediately. If noone
has looked at it when I get back, I'll fix it straight away (mid
afternoon UTC)

Ross

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Oh, OK. Who knows a good resource about tracking memory leaks then?

Use a memory profiler.
I used DrMem: simple and reasonably powerful. There are more
comfortable tools, sourceforge should have at least two, one
as eclipse plugin.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Well, 'build test' does work, but that doesn't build our forrest docs.
>>>I am talking about our docs in forrest/site-author/
>>
>>Yeah, that is what I meant. I thought ./build.sh test also build our
>>docs, so I have not been doing it as part of my test cycle. Ooops.
>>
>>I have tried to test with this but I get Out Of Memory errors. I'm sure
>>this is nothing to do with the locationmap and recall someone haveing
>>problems recently with memory stuff. Can you please test building our docs.
>

> Yep, me. There is a recent message in the archives. Recently i needed
> to increase the memory spec in my forrest.properties file. I get the
> feeling that there is a memory leak, perhaps to do with PDF generation.
> We only hit it now, because we are generating more docs with the 0.8,
> 0.7, and 0.6 in one build.

Oh, OK. Who knows a good resource about tracking memory leaks then? This
is something I have never done before, so if someone knows how to do it
please take a look, the first stage is to verify if there is a leak or not..

> Regarding locationmap default, the site-author builds okay now.
> The only error is this reported twice:
> docs_0_80/lm:rewriteDemo/index        BROKEN: No pipeline matched request: docs_0_80/lm:rewriteDemo/index

Ah, yes, I added that document after doing the initial tests. I
remembered to remove one of the links, but not this one, obviously
(fixed now). The working version of the demo is in fresh-site.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>Doesn't ./build.sh test build the site anymore? I thought it did.
> >
> >Well, 'build test' does work, but that doesn't build our forrest docs.
> >I am talking about our docs in forrest/site-author/
>
> Yeah, that is what I meant. I thought ./build.sh test also build our
> docs, so I have not been doing it as part of my test cycle. Ooops.
>
> I have tried to test with this but I get Out Of Memory errors. I'm sure
> this is nothing to do with the locationmap and recall someone haveing
> problems recently with memory stuff. Can you please test building our docs.

Yep, me. There is a recent message in the archives. Recently i needed
to increase the memory spec in my forrest.properties file. I get the
feeling that there is a memory leak, perhaps to do with PDF generation.
We only hit it now, because we are generating more docs with the 0.8,
0.7, and 0.6 in one build.

Regarding locationmap default, the site-author builds okay now.
The only error is this reported twice:
docs_0_80/lm:rewriteDemo/index        BROKEN: No pipeline matched request: docs_0_80/lm:rewriteDemo/index

> >and the similar
> >errors when deploying plugins below.
>
> I have succesfully deployed the PDF and projectInfo plugins, perhaps you
> could test one that you know failed.

projectInfo was the only one that i tried before
and it works now. I tried one more, and it is okay too.

-David

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
> >>the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
> >>Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
> >>module.
> >>
> >>I have to leave the office right now so cannot fix immediately. If noone
> >>has looked at it when I get back, I'll fix it straight away (mid
> >>afternoon UTC)
> >

> >There is something wrong with our Forrest docs now,
> >even after the fixes for FOR-570.
>
> Doesn't ./build.sh test build the site anymore? I thought it did.

Well, 'build test' does work, but that doesn't build our forrest docs.
I am talking about our docs in forrest/site-author/ and the similar
errors when deploying plugins below.

> >'cd site-author; forrest'
> >It seems to expect a locationmap.xml file. Shouldn't it work
> >without one?
>
> Yes, it should. I'll look into this in about an hour.

Thanks.

-David

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
> the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
> Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
> module.
>
> I have to leave the office right now so cannot fix immediately. If noone
> has looked at it when I get back, I'll fix it straight away (mid
> afternoon UTC)

There is something wrong with our Forrest docs now,
even after the fixes for FOR-570.

'cd site-author; forrest'
It seems to expect a locationmap.xml file. Shouldn't it work
without one?

Anyway there are a many different errors reported.

Also trying to deploy a plugin fails when building the docs.
Seems to have trouble finding images.

-David

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 11:58 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:13 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
> >>the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
> >>Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
> >>module.
> >
> > Yes I can confirm this. :(
> >
> > I am sorry, but it will have to wait after work to fix it.
> >
> > It seems that the merge did not work. :(
>
> Lesson number 1: before an important commit, be sure to have time
>                  available after it to fix things
>
> I have made this mistake myself many times, but it's getting better.
> Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to commit :-)

Yeah you are right.

Sorry again.

...btw could you give us more infos (see the other mails - select). ;-)

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:13 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
>>the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
>>Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
>>module.
>
> Yes I can confirm this. :(
>
> I am sorry, but it will have to wait after work to fix it.
>
> It seems that the merge did not work. :(

Lesson number 1: before an important commit, be sure to have time
                 available after it to fix things

I have made this mistake myself many times, but it's getting better.
Sometimes it's hard to resist the urge to commit :-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [HEADS_UP] SVN HEAD is broken

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:13 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> The merge of the locationmap branch has broken SVN head. I'm pretty sure
> the problem is some changes that have not been brought across.
> Specifically the forrest.xconf file has no reference to the locationmap
> module.

Yes I can confirm this. :(

I am sorry, but it will have to wait after work to fix it.

It seems that the merge did not work. :(

> I have to leave the office right now so cannot fix immediately. If noone
> has looked at it when I get back, I'll fix it straight away (mid
> afternoon UTC)

e.g. locationmap did not get copied over, ...