Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Fisher, James" <jf...@epotec.com> on 2002/05/29 17:14:52 UTC

question...

I was testing the win32 build Apache2/Modperl2 available on Randy Kobes and
I stumbled upon an odd behavior specific to Modperl2.  I was merrily testing
with the apache tool ab and it seems after hitting apache anywhere between
2-6 times with the command "ab -n 1000 http://127.0.0.1/hello", or similarly
hitting a modperl page, the webserver just locks up and I have to restart.
This behavior does not occur when hitting regular ole html pages.  I was
assuming this would be the appropriate place to post and such issues or
bugs.  Please, let me know if my assumption is correct.  I am testing on
Windows 2000 SP2.

Cheers,
JF

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Posted by Arthur Bergman <ar...@contiller.se>.
On torsdag, maj 30, 2002, at 08:36 , Randy Kobes wrote:

> It would be very nice for the windows stuff - from what Doug
> figured, the problem I was having building modperl2 on Win32 may
> be related to something that has been fixed in perl-5.7.3. And so
> if I make up modperl2 ppm packages based on 5.7.3, chances are
> they won't be compatible with ActivePerl, based on 5.6.1. I could
> make up a perl-5.7.3 binary, but then there might be a problem
> with it using XS-based binary modules built with 5.6.1 (I tried
> installing Tk from ActiveState's ppm repository into my 5.7.3
> tree, but when I used it it complained that it couldn't find
> perl56.dll).

Since there is a perl 5.8RC1 coming this weekend (saturday) it makes
sense to wait.

5.8 is declared not to be binary compatible with previous perls....

Arthur

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 30 May 2002, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> > So I may package up my
> > perl-5.7.3 build as a binary as well, to go along with
> > an updated modperl-2 package ...
> >

> Looks like it's time for 5.8.0 to be the official release...

It would be very nice for the windows stuff - from what Doug
figured, the problem I was having building modperl2 on Win32 may
be related to something that has been fixed in perl-5.7.3. And so
if I make up modperl2 ppm packages based on 5.7.3, chances are
they won't be compatible with ActivePerl, based on 5.6.1. I could
make up a perl-5.7.3 binary, but then there might be a problem
with it using XS-based binary modules built with 5.6.1 (I tried
installing Tk from ActiveState's ppm repository into my 5.7.3
tree, but when I used it it complained that it couldn't find
perl56.dll).

> While we are talking about windows, do you have any
> experiences if DBI works under windows with mod_perl 2.0?

I tried it with the current modperl-2 ppm package, and DBI (with
mysql) worked OK ....

best regards,
randy

Re: DBI & win32 (was: question...)

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi Randy,

> So I may package up my
> perl-5.7.3 build as a binary as well, to go along with
> an updated modperl-2 package ...

Looks like it's time for 5.8.0 to be the official release...

While we are talking about windows, do you have any experiences if DBI works
under windows with mod_perl 2.0?

Thanks

Gerald

Re: question...

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Fisher, James wrote:
>
> > I was testing the win32 build Apache2/Modperl2 available on Randy Kobes and
> > I stumbled upon an odd behavior specific to Modperl2.  I was merrily testing
> > with the apache tool ab and it seems after hitting apache anywhere between
> > 2-6 times with the command "ab -n 1000 http://127.0.0.1/hello", or similarly
> > hitting a modperl page, the webserver just locks up and I have to restart.
> > This behavior does not occur when hitting regular ole html pages.  I was
> > assuming this would be the appropriate place to post and such issues or
> > bugs.  Please, let me know if my assumption is correct.  I am testing on
> > Windows 2000 SP2.
> >
> if you have msdev studio, try building modperl-2.0 from cvs which has a
> number of windows specific fixes.  else, wait for 1.99_02 to be released
> (soonish).

I checked this with both the current apache2/modperl2 binary and
the modperl-2 ppm package from our site, and found a similar
behaviour - after some (largish) number of requests the server
locks up. This does appear to be fixed in the current cvs
modperl-2 - however, in order for (at least) me to build and test
this version, I need perl-5.7.3. So I may package up my

Re: question...

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.