Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "John M. Gabriele" <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/02 18:40:07 UTC

an Axis faq, and a few questions about a simple ws

I've just begun learning about web services and Axis (1.2.1),
and wrote a small faq:
http://www.simisen.com/jmg/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.JavaAxisWebService

Please have a look, and let me know where I can clarify
and/or correct.

As an aside to the faq, I need to write a simple web service
which allows clients to upload a jpeg to a server and exchange
some text about it, and I'm hoping that you folks can help answer
a few remaining questions I have (also so I can update the faq):

I created my simple web service (call it, say, "Bing.jws") and
dropped it into my Tomcat webapps/axis folder. Now I want to
write a client for it. (I'm hoping I don't have to touch any
SOAP or WSDL.) I followed the steps shown in the
above-mentioned faq, and have four .java files now:

Bing.java
BingService.java
BingServiceLocator.java
BingSoapBindingStub.java

Am I supposed to edit any of these files? My hunch is "no" --
that I just use them from my own client code.

I've seen other supposedly-autogenerated files referred to
in tutorials and messages on this list.

>From Jan on this list:

BingServiceSoapStub.java
BingServiceSoapSkeleton.java
BingServiceSoapImpl.java

and from the November 2004 DDJ article:

BingBindingStub.java
BingLocator.java
BingPortType.java

Did those 6 files used to be generated by an older version
of Axis?

Is there another way of generating these files besides using
the WSDL2Java program?

Do I need to generate any of these extra classes just to
write a simple web app + client?

I've found that the CWS Watch article:
http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/68 most closely details what
I'm getting here on my end using WSDL2Java. Is this article
(rather than the DDJ one) the one to follow?

Finally, the official Axis doc on clients:
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/client-side-axis.html
mentions that you can configure your Call object (saying
that the org.apache.axis.client.Call class implements
the javax.xml.rpc.Call interface). I see that my
BingSoapBindingStub.java file has a createCall() method.
Am I supposed to be using that for my simple web app?

Any help is most appreciated. :)

---John

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

RE: an Axis faq, and a few questions about a simple ws

Posted by "John M. Gabriele" <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Ok, [rolls up sleeves] perhaps I'll get more help with this
if I edit the official wiki rather than my own wiki. :) I
edited the following pages:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/AxisGeneral
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/WritingYourClient
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/InstallWebServices

Also a small '''XXX''' added to
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/UsingCommandLineTools

Can someone please help me fill-in that WritingYourClient one
better? Specifically, I'm looking for that information asked
about in my original post (also quoted below). I think it would
really make it easier for newcomers to Axis to get started.

Thanks,
---J

Posted by "John M. Gabriele" <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dino Chiesa <di...@microsoft.com>.