Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2002/09/04 16:44:10 UTC

Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon

Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	After working through some interesting issues :) I've updated the
	SOAP server for Cocoon that I've been working on in the following
	areas:

	o SOAP server reader is now based on Axis, rather than Apache SOAP.

	o Helper abstract classes have been written allowing webservices
	  to implement LogEnabled and Composable.

	o Several webservices are now included:

		o cache (allows you to remotely manipulate the Cocoon cache
		         via soap, eg. clear it)

		o memory (allows you to view the total and free amount of
		          memory in your Cocoon application, also allows you
			  to remotely invoke the garbarge collector)

		o system (allows you to inspect the hardware your server
		          is running on)

		o process (allows you to run a system process on the server
		           and view the output. eg. ps, uptime, df, etc)

	o Included a small sample webapp which allows you to list the
	  services currently deployed.

	o Moved entire source over to scratchpad, rather than core

	The source with libraries is now much larger than the original version,
	I'll make it available via http somewhere and enter a bugzilla patch.

	Comments, suggestions more than welcome.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 04:30:09PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> [...]
>      shutdown of this reader.
>  -->
> <map:reader logger="sitemap.reader.soap-rpc" name="soap-rpc"
>             src="org.apache.cocoon.reading.SoapRPCReader">
>  <managed-services>
>   <descriptor src="resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/soap/services/memory/DeploymentDescriptor.xml"/>
>  </managed-services>
> </map:reader>
>
> 	Consult the javadocs for the full option set which includes the
> 	ability to set an EnvelopeEditorFactory, and custom SOAP server xml
> 	config file.
>
> 	The pipeline match is quite simple like most readers:
>
> <!-- Match SOAP RPC Router requests -->
> <map:match pattern="rpcrouter">
>  <map:read type="soap-rpc" mime-type="text/xml"/>
> </map:match>
>
> 	With these 2 sections added to your sitemap, you can then make
> 	HTTP-POST queries to the above pipeline to deploy, list, invoke or
> 	undeploy particular SOAP services from your Cocoon app. The
> 	ServiceManagerClient class that comes with Apache SOAP is quite
> 	useful for this.
>
> 	I've included an example service with my patch which allows a
> 	remote client to query the amount of free & total memory the remote
> 	Cocoon app currently has, and also allows a client to invoke the
> 	garbage collector on the remote application.
>
> 	For those interested have a look at the class and deployment
> 	descriptor in the o/a/c/components/soap/services/memory directory,
> 	and the	webapps/samples/soap directory.
>
> 	The SoapRPCReader also adds the Cocoon request, response, context
> 	and ComponentManager to the SOAP request context, which means it's
> 	possible for your SOAP services to access any avalon components you may
> 	have written, and also session data that may be relevant for the
> 	particular request. Have a look at the
> 	o/a/c/components/soap/services/template directory for an example of
> 	this.
>
> 	Normal SOAP services (ie. cocoon independant) can also be deployed,
> 	including those implemented in other languages via BSF support. The
> 	Apache SOAP documentation describes how this can be done.
>
> 	The reader itself requires the presence of the Apache SOAP jar
> 	(2.3.1 used during development), and the SUN activation and
> 	javamail jar. I've modified the build.xml so that the reader and
> 	associated services are only built if these libraries are present.
>
> 	I'm now looking at the various statistical & administration
> 	information we might like to provide from Cocoon, hopefully in
> 	combination with the instrumentation interfaces from Excalibur.
>
> 	Ok, so I hope its of use for more people that just me, if there's any
> 	questions, comments, feel free to ask.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Marcus

>      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
>     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
>     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
>      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
>      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi All,

	Have just checked everything into HEAD. If there's any problems
	please let me know and I'll fix them immediately.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:19:05PM +0200, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > 	The reader itself requires the presence of the Apache SOAP jar
> > > 	(2.3.1 used during development), and the SUN activation and
> > > 	javamail jar. I've modified the build.xml so that the reader and
> > > 	associated services are only built if these libraries are present.
> > >
> > > 	I'm now looking at the various statistical & administration
> > > 	information we might like to provide from Cocoon, hopefully in
> > > 	combination with the instrumentation interfaces from Excalibur.
> > >
> > > 	Ok, so I hope its of use for more people that just me, if there's any
> > > 	questions, comments, feel free to ask.
> > >
> > > 	Cheers,
> > >
> > > 	Marcus
> > >
> > > --
> > >      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
> > >     ;$'      '$$$$:    Computer Systems Engineer
> > >     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
> > >      $       o_)$$$:   82-84 Mainzer Landstrasse
> > >      ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 04 September 2002 05:15 pm, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.

+1, I thought he already had the karma!
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> +1 from me too!
>
> Ovidiu
>
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> >> +1
> >

> > +1
> >
> > Cheers, Marcus!

I think a SOAP4Cocoon will be a good extention. Personally I don't
like SOAP, but so what! ;-)

My +1, welcome Marcus.

Stephan Michels.

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>.
+1 from me too!

Ovidiu

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
>>> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
>>> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>>>
>>> Cast your votes, folks.
>>>
>>> Here's my +1.
>>

>> +1
>

> +1
>
> Cheers, Marcus!
>

> Vadim
>

>> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@apache.org>
http://webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/ (Weblog)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/7464/ (Apache, GNU,
Emacs ...)

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> >> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >>
> >> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >
> > Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
> >
> > I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> > long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> > committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
> >
> > Cast your votes, folks.
> >
> > Here's my +1.
>
> +1
>
> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

+1
--David

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by tc...@dff.st.
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> >> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >>
> >> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >>

> > Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
> >
> > I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> > long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> > committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
> >
> > Cast your votes, folks.
> >
> > Here's my +1.
>
> +1
>
> I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

+1

gratulations, mate :-)
--
Torsten

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
>>
>> Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
>>

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.

+1

I was thinking the same thing, he's been round for so long :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:22:37PM +0200, Stephan Michels wrote:

> Try
>
> cvs -d:ext:crafterm@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout xml-cocoon2

	Thanks for your mail.

	I gave it a try, but got the same error message below. I think it
	must be the group problem, or something else preventing the lock
	file from being created.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

> Stephan.
>
> > cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2
> > cvs server: failed to create lock directory for /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
> > (/home/cvs/xml-cocoon2/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> > cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
> > cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> 	Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Do I also need to be added to the
> 	group 'xml' on cvs.apache.org ?

Yes indeed, sorry about that, done.

	Brian

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Brian,

	Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Do I also need to be added to the
	group 'xml' on cvs.apache.org ?

	I'm receiving the following error upon trying to check xml-cocoon2
	out:

$> cvs -d crafterm@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs checkout xml-cocoon2
cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon2
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
(/home/cvs/xml-cocoon2/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository /home/cvs/xml-cocoon2'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

	The same command with jakarta-avalon works fine. The only
	difference being I'm in the 'jakarta' group, but not 'xml'.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:47:53PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Commit privs granted.
>
> 	Brian
>
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Marcus Crafter wrote:
> >
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >	Wow, thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! I'd be honoured to
> > >	join the committer team. :)
> > >
> > >	What do I have to do to proceed ?
> > >

> > You just have to wait for root giving you the appropriate karma ;-)
> >
> > Dear root,
> >
> > Marcus Crafter has been voted as Cocoon committer by 13 positive votes
> > and zero negative one (see
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103117425400003&r=1&w=2)
> >
> > Would you please give him the appropriate Cocoon karma ? He's already an
> > Avalon committer and his user id is "crafterm".
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sylvain

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>> Commit privs granted.
>>

> Welcome aboard, Marcus "The Quick" Crafter ;)
>

> I think that was the fastest vote.

And the longest to come round ;-)

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 08:41:50AM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Welcome aboard, Marcus,
Congrats Marcus! (we always communicate by email ;-)

> now you can help Michael directly :)
Well...you can never have too many friends on the "inside"!!

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Welcome Marcus :)

Giacomo

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Welcome aboard, Marcus,

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
Commit privs granted.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi All,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:15:09PM +0200, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> Sylvain
>
> --
> Sylvain Wallez
> Anyware Technologies                  Apache Cocoon
> http://www.anyware-tech.com           mailto:sylvain@apache.org

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)

Strong +1, and welcome aboard!

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon

+1

I spoke to myself when I've written cited mail above that if this
contribution will be accepted I propose him committer to let him do the
integration work :) because I cannot remember when he joined Cocoon list
(must be years now) and he really has contributed alot with ideas,
suggestions, critiques and code.

> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)

:) Must be a mail template

Giacomo

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> >Awesome work, Marcus, but can you post the ComposerReader?
> >
> >Anybody else but me finds this should make its way into HEAD?
> >

> Sure it should. And what about letting Marcus doing it himself ?
>
> I'd like to propose Marcus Crafter as a new Cocoon committer. He's a
> long time contributor with some nice ideas, and already an Avalon
> committer. He's also a kind guy that always "hope all is well" ;-)
>
> Cast your votes, folks.
>
> Here's my +1.

+1 from here, too.

Carsten

RE: [VOTE] Marcus Crafter as a Cocoon committer (was Re: Proposal: Serving SOAP from Cocoon)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Marcus Crafter is a resourceful developer, and he has come up
with a number of good ideas in Avalon land.  I say +1.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.