Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Hubertus Groepper <hu...@groepper.com> on 2004/12/09 18:28:14 UTC

Patch How-To

Hello
as there is no more cvs, the patch how-to from cocoon at
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-patch.html which is linked
from http://lenya.apache.org/community/index.html is obsolete. The
command seems to be svn diff with no arguments, see
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/svn-book.html#svn-ch-3-sect-4.3.2
hubertus

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Hubertus Groepper wrote:
>
>> Well, I chose the "hard way" and ended up building forrest and all.
>> The installation instructions at http://forrest.apache.org/build.html
>> linked from http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html are
>> out off date btw. And I need an X-server running for that stuff? As
>> creation of some fancy png failed, things got physically challenging
>> when I had to access my long stuffed-away "server"....

applied your patch, too. thanks again.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Hubertus Groepper wrote:

> Well, I chose the "hard way" and ended up building forrest and all. The
> installation instructions at http://forrest.apache.org/build.html linked
> from http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html are out off
> date btw. And I need an X-server running for that stuff? As creation of
> some fancy png failed, things got physically challenging when I had to
> access my long stuffed-away "server"....

thanks!

> Also, could anybody please enlighten me as why the lenya project doesn't
> use lenya itself to maintain it's website? Or does it? This "built with
> forrest" must be some new dimension of marketing for a CMS.

forrest is very good for creating static websites (such as apache.org
sites). there are talks underway to bring these two closer together.

Eating our own dogfood was Re: Patch How-To

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Hubertus Groepper wrote:

> Thank you. It was not meant as a critique. Component or project linkage
> and reuse is no doubt a real strength of the ASF, and I am constantly
> amazed how well thinks work together. And after I read a bit about
> forrest I must say it really seems to be a cool piece of software.
>
> But still, there is no direct link available to a demo (I know about the
> existing one from the mailing list), a search for "demo"  on the website
> turns up nothing, and the project's own site doesn't use it's own CMS?
> I've been lurking on the user-list since the days of newly incubated 1.0
> or so, therefor I know what long way lenya has come and what constant
> progress has been made. But for some new user this gives a strange
> impression.

valid points. i believe projects like lenya are breaking some new ground
at the ASF in as that they have a stronger application side to them (as
opposed to the tradtional infrastructure software and frameworks)

we still need to find a good middle ground how much we want to use our
web space to showcase what is going on. for instance, take a look at

http://xaraya.com/
http://midgard-project.org/
http://ez.no/

im not saying we should adopt their marketing approach, just wanting to
contrast things.

> IIRC there was doc-publication shipped with lenya, right? I am really
> curious to know what is missing in lenya to maintain such a publication
> and run the website. Anyway, such openness about the project's strengths
> is just as good, so thanks again.

there are also infrastructure concerns. infrastructure wants to be able
to restore a site easily from SVN if it goes down without having to set
up dozens of apps. this is reflected in the doco proposal.

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by Hubertus Groepper <hu...@groepper.com>.

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

plus, there is Doco: http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Doco

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Hubertus Groepper escribió:
<snip/>

> Well, I chose the "hard way" and ended up building forrest and all. The
> installation instructions at http://forrest.apache.org/build.html linked
> from http://lenya.apache.org/community/website-update.html are out off
> date btw.

Thanks, you just reminded me and the forrest community to fix that.
With the next website update that will be online. We just had a release
and the 0.7-dev is quite new and pretty different in the structure.
Forrest just introduced the plugins concept.

Anyway why did you use forrest-trunk and not 0.6? Our website deploys
perfectly with 0.6.

...oh, now I figured.

I just updated our website-update.html. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I need an X-server running for that stuff? As creation of
> some fancy png failed, things got physically challenging when I had to
> access my long stuffed-away "server"....

http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#headless_operation

no -> If you are using JDK 1.4.0 or newer, you can enable headless
operation by running Forrest with the forrest.jvmarg  parameter set to
-Djava.awt.headless=true, like this:

forrest -Dforrest.jvmargs=-Djava.awt.headless=true site

BTW that option can be used as well by e.g JFreeCharts (where I first
had to use it because I could not install an X-server on the server) :)

> Also, could anybody please enlighten me as why the lenya project doesn't
> use lenya itself to maintain it's website?

a) Forrest is one of the ASF standard for the website, we decided to go
with the standard. ;-)

b) Like Gregor said ATM it is quite difficult (to be frankly) to set up
a live lenya on ASF. The site *HAVE TO* be static!

c) We used lenya for editing our documentation and exported afterwards
with forrest, but in forrest we are <1.0 which means that it is still in
great development state.

d) One day (if a paying customer comes around it will happen very fast)
we want to use forrest plugins in lenya and vice versa. That would help
both projects to leverage their ressources. Like Gregor said Forrest is
e.g. very strong in the generation of static websites. This just one of
many features that Forrest provide out-of-the-box which we from lenya
could use from them (and vice versa with e.g workflow,...).

Or does it? This "built with
> forrest" must be some new dimension of marketing for a CMS.

:) LOL No, it is more "Ehre wem Ehre gebührt" (Give credit where credit
is due).

...and do not get me started to praise forrest features. ;-)

Thanks for your work!
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by Hubertus Groepper <hu...@groepper.com>.
Am 09.12.2004 um 18:36 schrieb Gregor J. Rothfuss:

> Hubertus Groepper wrote:
>> Hello
>> as there is no more cvs, the patch how-to from cocoon at
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-patch.html which is linked
>> from http://lenya.apache.org/community/index.html is obsolete. The
>> command seems to be svn diff with no arguments, see
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/svn-book.html#svn-ch-3-sect-4.3.2
>> hubertus
>
> hubertus, would you like to apply that new knowledge on said
> paragraph? the source is in lenya-docs :) patches welcome.
The patch is attached. I really don't know if this works, never done
this before.

Re: Patch How-To

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.