Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Flynn <pf...@ucc.ie> on 2007/11/26 12:03:38 UTC

New server recommendations?

After much waiting I am now in a position to install a new Cocoon server
for use by several document-serving projects (yay), with Lucene and
eXist. I've been running Cocoon for years on antiquated hardware so this
is an opportunity to Do It Right and demonstrate to people that this is
the One True Path :-)

The platform is RHEL5 running Apache 2 to front-end port 80 so that we
can host a few unmigrated HTML/PHP sites and virtual hosts as well.

I think the last time I asked, the recommendation was to make httpd
proxy Tomcat (I trawled the logs but failed to find my message), but I
do remember that last time I installed Tomcat from Red Hat's RPMs it was
a total mess and I went back to a source install. Using RPMs via yum is
a great convenience, but not if Red Hat breaks the config.

a) Are Red Hat's RPMs now usable as a Tomcat installation for running
Cocoon? If so, which bits do I need (servlet, webapps, jasper, jsp...)?
Or should I install from source again?

b) Does anyone have any specific Dos or Donts about this platform or
configuration?

///Peter

Re: New server recommendations?

Posted by leonid <te...@leonid.de>.
On my servers I use Debian etch, Apache 2, java 6, tomcat 5.5, Cocoon
2.1. Formerly I used jetty for production, for quite some years, but
with the latest releases of tomcat, I can't confirm Tobia's
experiences. It seems to me, that more and more good reasons for
preferentially using jetty for production have been dropped with
every new version of jetty and tomcat after v 4.x.

On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Peter Sparkes wrote:

> I am using Apache 2, Debian etch, java 1.5, tomcat 5 and Cocoon 2.1
> and got the whole thing up and running in under a day. I have very
> little experience in setting up such a system so  it can't be too
> difficult.
>
> I found http://edwardaux.wordpress.com/2006/09/20/3/ very helpful
> in setting the system up so that I could host multiple sites.

I think this approach, isn't generally useful. Why do you need
different tomcat instances for every single webapp or site?
Furthermore, such an approach could hardly by considered as RPM-
friendly.

I use only one tomcat instance on each physical server, and each
tomcat instance is hosting the same webapps/sites. On one machine
there is an Apache 2 + mod_jk installed, that collects the workers of
the different tomcat instances and does some load balancing. Whereas
a real cluster solution seems not to be possible with Cocoon, because
of some issues concerning the compulsive serialization of all session
data for replication, I use ajp13 workers, configured for with sticky
sessions. The new mod_proxy_ajp module did not work for me, so I use
mod_jk for this.

/L

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.

Posted by Tobia Conforto <to...@linux.it>.