Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2019/06/06 21:34:31 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove "stats" pages

Hi all,

we have this feature where ATS can server some “static” pages for stats and introspection. I’d like to propose that we remove this feature for v9.0.0, opening up the door for better implementations via the traffic_ctl reworks.

I understand that this would leave us without some of this feature for the short term. However, I think that’s ok for a number of reasons:

1. It’s mostly a debugging tool (IMO), turning it on in production is risky at best. Several features (such as searching the cache), can kill the server performance.

2. There are some tools that can do some of what this does, e.g. the traffic_cache_tool, and various metrics and logging, as well as diagnostics.

3. It’s not particularly secure (there’s no ACLs, other than making obscure URL names). And it’s not particularly easy to setup either :).

I’m ok not doing this if there’s at least someone who depends on and need this feature. I’d expect at a minimum it would still go away in ATS v10.0.0.

And discuss!

— Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove "stats" pages

Posted by zzz <zz...@apache.org>.