Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by john doe <re...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/08 06:10:33 UTC

mod_proxy on Solaris: some web pages are not served

Hello,

I just built a Solaris 8 (x86) and started using
Apache/1.3.12 shipped with the OS. The system is in an
intranet with access to the Internet through a
gateway.

I am trying to replace a "slower" box running Linux
with the same version of Apache which does not show
the following described problem.

I am interested mostly in the proxy features of the
web server. I am currently experimenting with the new
system and using a Win 98 client with IE 6.0 for
testing. I am accessing various outside web sites and
switching back and forth between the old and new proxy
servers.

I tried to keep the httpd.conf files similar (except
for directory locations and few LoadModule and
AddModule lines) on both the old and new systems.

First I noticed a slower response time using the
Solaris system (despite a better processor and more
memory).

Most important is that some sites, or specific web
pages don't even load in the browser. The browser gets
stuck sometimes for over 30 minutes with the icon
moving and opening http://.... text in the status bar.

I checked the access_log file and I can see the
request going through.

I changed LogLevel from warn to debug, and the only
errors that I can see in error_log are some of the
following lines:
   [Sun Apr  7 22:43:49 2002] [error] [client
192.168.1.102] (131)Connection reset by peer:
ap_bgets() - proxy receive -
 Error reading from remote server www3.bannerspace.com
(length -1)
   [Sun Apr  7 22:44:02 2002] [info] [client
192.168.1.102] proxy receive timed out
   [Sun Apr  7 22:48:52 2002] [info] [client
192.168.1.102] proxy receive timed out
   [Sun Apr  7 22:48:52 2002] [info] [client
192.168.1.102] proxy receive timed out

When I switch back to the old proxy server, with the
same browser, I get that page in the browser right
away.

I am not sure where to look for next, I need pointers
or help to solve this.

Thanks.