Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Josh Peters <jp...@matric.com> on 2005/04/07 15:52:35 UTC

Got it installed, now what?

Parden me for my ignorance, or maybe this queston doesn't belong here, but
I've looked at all the documentation and it seems there's an endless amount of
ways to setup SpamAssassin.  So I'll start from the beginning.  I have a VPS
FreeBSD server, running Apacahe and Sendmail as my mail service. I also have
Mysql if it's pertinate to setup? I have a about 80 POP3 mailboxes that are
running fine. We've been bombarded with SPAM the past few months so I decided
to start looking for some type of SPAM filtering software and came to
SpamAssassin.  Yesterday I successfully upgraded my version of Perl in order
to install SA, and got a clean Make and Install of SA.....

So now what?  I've been trying to figure out how to test this on a single
mailbox, so I created a directory call /usr/home/<username>/.spamassassin . In
that I created a file called user_prefs and inserted this code

# How many hits before a message is considered spam.
required_hits           5.0

# Whether to change the subject of suspected spam
rewrite_subject         1

# Text to prepend to subject if rewrite_subject is used
subject_tag             *****SPAM*****

# Encapsulate spam in an attachment
report_safe             1

# Use terse version of the spam report
use_terse_report        0

# Enable the Bayes system
use_bayes               1

# Enable Bayes auto-learning
auto_learn              1

# Enable or disable network checks
skip_rbl_checks         0
use_razor2              1
use_dcc                 1
use_pyzor               1

# Mail using languages used in these country codes will not be marked
# as being possibly spam in a foreign language.
ok_languages            all

# Mail using locales used in these country codes will not be marked
# as being possibly spam in a foreign language.
ok_locales              all

How do I know everything is running and how do I test this thing?  Again,
sorry if this isn't the place for a question like this but I'm having issues
figuring this out.  It's on my server, just need to configure it now.
Thanks