Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Lindholm, Greg" <gl...@neom.com> on 2005/07/20 15:49:59 UTC

Justification to switch to JSF from Struts?

I've been using Struts for a while and have just started learning JSF.
I'm reading "Java Server Faces In Action" right now and have "Core Java
Server Faces" sitting on my desk.

I'm liking what I'm seeing and seriously considering using JSF/MyFaces
for my next project.  However, I need to be able to justify a technology
change to my manager (and to myself).  There is a non-trivial cost
whenever you switch to a new technology.  (Learning, testing, developing
methodolgies, training others, etc.)

I'm looking for reasons to justify a switch to JSF from Struts.

I started to prepare a list of "short-coming" with Struts from my own
experience.
The JSF designers must already have this list. Where can I find it?

I guessing this is a popular topic but I've search and not been able to
find a consise list yet.

TIA

Greg

Re: Justification to switch to JSF from Struts?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Lindholm, Greg wrote:
> I've been using Struts for a while and have just started learning JSF.
> I'm reading "Java Server Faces In Action" right now and have "Core Java
> Server Faces" sitting on my desk.
>
> I'm liking what I'm seeing and seriously considering using JSF/MyFaces
> for my next project.  However, I need to be able to justify a technology
> change to my manager (and to myself).  There is a non-trivial cost
> whenever you switch to a new technology.  (Learning, testing, developing
> methodolgies, training others, etc.)

JSF definitely is more complex than JSF, but in the end you get better
tools, in the long run standardized component sets (this is a goal yet
to achieved but things come close)
much better components and an official standard. Somewhat less config
file entries, IOC handling to a certain degree.

The downside is increased complexity and lots of bugs in the current
component sets (which have been no show stoppers for me so far)
and a somewhat rough learning curve, even from struts.

> I'm looking for reasons to justify a switch to JSF from Struts.
>
> I started to prepare a list of "short-coming" with Struts from my own
> experience.
> The JSF designers must already have this list. Where can I find it?
>
> I guessing this is a popular topic but I've search and not been able to
> find a consise list yet.

I would give a testproject a try and check out if you can achieve the
results faster than in struts (counting out the learning curve), that
might be the best proof if you want to switch.