Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Gaëtan Pruvost <ga...@limsi.fr> on 2012/04/05 11:24:01 UTC

Re: UPnP

Hi Francesco,

We haven't formally compared Youpi vs Cling.

The reason for that is that if Cling had been out a few months earlier,
we would not have wasted time creating a new implementation...
Unfortunately, I think 2 or 3 projects simultaneously worked on UPnP
without being aware of it. But in the end, I'm glad that we achieved
similar features (like the annotation mechanism), it shows there was a
real need for that.

 From what I've seen (I had taken a look at  it a few months ago), here
are some differences I noted:

  * The Cling project is a bit more modular, it relies on message
    passing between modules that implement the different features:
    registry, discovery, subscription... Though we decoupled many things
    compared to Cyberlink, our implementation is more monolithic. It
    means less message passing (possibly better performance but I can't
    really say as there was no real comparison made until now) but maybe
    it is less easy to understand.

  * Defining UPnP actions through annotations:
    - In Cling, you use basic data types to define action arguments
    (boolean, int...)
    - In Youpi, you use a wrapper type (e.g. Var<String>, Var<Boolean>)
    The Cling way is less verbose, but what happens with the output
    arguments? It's ok when there is only one (it is the return type of
    the method) but the UPnP specs allow for multiple out args... For
    that reason, I used a wrapper that allows to actually change the
    value of arguments in the body of the method.
    Moreover, this solution allows to enforce range and value
    restrictions as defined in the UPnP specs. I'm not sure how Cling
    handles those two important points of the spec.

  * The licensing is different. Cling uses LGPL whereas Youpi is CeCILL
    (i.e. BSD).

  * The last point (but not the least, imho) is that Cling is a weighty
    library of 3MB (I wonder why...) whereas Youpi is very lightweight
    (600KB).

  * Finally, concerning the graphical tools, Youpi and Cling seems to be
    on the same level. Cling provides specific handling of Gateway
    devices (which Youpi don't) and Youpi provides automatic java code
    generation (which I don't think Cling proposes).

Now, concerning the base driver re-factory, I don't think there is any
need for an abstraction layer. The OSGi specs for UPnP already is such
an abstraction layer. So ok, if you want to implement a wrapper for a
new UPnP library, you have to rewrite it... But there is not magic, if
you have a new abstraction layer, you will have the same amount of work
wrapping your new library (be it Cling or Youpi) within this layer... So
I wonder what's the point, but again, I'm not sure I've perfectly
understood what you propose.

On the other side, if you want to make evolve the OSGi specs for UPnP
(which are very basic), then I understand that you could do it so that
it is not too hard to wrap Youpi and Cling with it ;-) I would suggest
to add some concepts: the control point and device server appear nowhere
in the actual specs, so we cannot change their config in OSGi, which is
a pity. Apart from that, I don't know how to improve the specs, I guess
there is some work here to analyse the APIs of Youpi and Cling more in
depth.

I've been a bit long, but I hope this was helpful.
Best regards,

***********************************
Gaëtan PRUVOST

LIMSI-CNRS BP 133
91403 Orsay Cedex France
Tel:+33 1 69858110

http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/pruvost/

Re: UPnP

Posted by Ken Gilmer <kg...@gmail.com>.
It was certainly helpful to me Gaėtan.  Thank you for your time.

-ken