Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karina Anderson <ka...@unitechsys.com> on 2001/02/01 23:00:26 UTC

problems with servlet init parameters tomcat 3.2.1

     I have a servlet that is trying to get inititalization parameters. I
     have done all the doc says, but it doesn't get them. It gets null.
     I am using tomcat 3.2.1 and jdk1.3.

     My servlet is under

     jakarta/webapps/DashboardDIG/Web-inf/classes/package.servlet.class
                                         /web.xml

     my web.xml has the following in it:
        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>myServlet</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>package.myServlet </servlet-class>
                <init-param>
                 <param-name>tcpip</param-name>
                 <param-value>127.0.0.1</param-value>
                </init-param>
                <init-param>
                 <param-name>port</param-name>
                 <param-value>50000</param-value>
              </init-param>
                <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

        </servlet>

        <servlet-mapping>
             <servlet-name>
                 myServlet
             </servlet-name>
             <url-pattern>
                 /myServlet
             </url-pattern>
                </servlet-mapping>

     I have a context entry in the /conf/server.xml file:
     <Context path="/DashboardDIG"
                      docBase="/webapps/DashboardDIG"
                      crossContext="false"
                      debug="0"
                      reloadable="true" >
             </Context>

     My servlet has the following code to get the parameters:
      public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
       {
        super.init(config);

        log ( "Initializing AppletToDigServlet..." );

        dbrdAddr = config.getServletContext().getInitParameter("tcpip");
        temp = config.getInitParameter("port");
        if (dbrdAddr == null)
           {
           log("error tcpip :" + dbrdAddr);
           log("using default tcpip");
           dbrdAddr = new String("127.0.0.1");
           }
        if (temp == null)
           {
           log("error port :" + temp);
           log("using default port");
           temp = new String("50000");
           }

        dbrdPort = new Integer(temp);

       }

     I don't get any of the parameters. Please anyone, what am I doing
     wrong?

     I am calling the servlet from an applet with the following call:
       URL url = new
       URL(http://localhost:8080/DashboardDIG/servlet/package.myServlet);

       URLConnection con = url.openConnection();
       con.setUseCaches(false);
       con.setRequestProperty("CONTENT_TYPE","application/octect-stream");
       con.setDoInput(true);

     I have tried calling it with
     http://localhost:8080/DashboardDIG/myServlet but I get 404, not found.
     http://localhost:8080/DashboardDIG/package.myServlet but I get 404.

     I don't think the mapping is working, and that's maybe the problem.

     Please help,

     Karina