Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/11/18 19:51:43 UTC

cvs commit guidelines (was: [Fwd: merlin CVS state?])

Hey all,

is it our policy that everything checked into CVS should always build
and run? (I think it is...)

if so, I'll add a doc snippet somewhere on that ;)

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> is it our policy that everything checked into CVS should always build
> and run? (I think it is...)
>
> if so, I'll add a doc snippet somewhere on that ;)

It's a Jakarta rule, and basically also an Apache one:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

"
Related changes should be committed as a group, or very closely
together. Half complete projects should never be committed to the main
branch of a development repository. All code changes must be
successfully compiled on the developer's platform before being
committed. Also, any unit tests should also pass.

The current source code tree for a subproject should be capable of
complete compilation at all times. However, it is sometimes impossible
for a developer on one platform to avoid breaking some other platform
when a change is committed. If it is anticipated that a given change
will break the build on some other platform, the committer must indicate
that in the commit message.
"

             - verba volant, scripta manent -