Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dayananda S <da...@kbc.be> on 2018/10/22 11:06:07 UTC

kafka client 1.1.0 broker compatibility

Looking for an updated broker compatibility chart for Kafka client 1.1.0.

Basically kafka input plugin for Logstash uses kafka client 1.1.0 and I wanted to check if this plugin supports kafka broker v2(latest version)

Disclaimer <http://www.kbc.com/KBCmailDisclaimer>

RE: kafka client 1.1.0 broker compatibility

Posted by Dayananda S <da...@kbc.be>.
Hi ,
I am looking to upgrade Kafka from 0.10.2 to version 2. Documentation in kafka website says editing server.properties file and upgrade the code. I understood the editing part of server.peroperties file. But what is meant by upgrade the code or upgrade kafka ? is it just replacing kafka binaries? Or anything else needs to be done.

If Logstash's internal client is 1.1.0, it is be compatible with Kafka brokers 2.0.0.

Note: Brokers are always backward compatible to older clients (your case). Additionally, since, 0.10.0.0 release, broker are also forward compatible to newer clients.

-Matthias

Posted by Dayananda S <da...@kbc.be>.
Thanks Matthias. Your info was helpful.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.