Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ross Boylan <ro...@biostat.ucsf.edu> on 2004/03/16 23:07:37 UTC

rcs -> svn?

I have some programs (as well as some isolated files) that are under
rcs.  That is to say, I have a bunch of development directories with
files, and each individual file is under rcs.

Are there any tools that would assist migrating such a setup into
subversion?  I've hunted around some, but haven't found anything.

Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross@biostat.ucsf.edu

Re: rcs -> svn?

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-03-16 15:07-0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have some programs (as well as some isolated files) that are under
> rcs.  That is to say, I have a bunch of development directories with
> files, and each individual file is under rcs.
>
> Are there any tools that would assist migrating such a setup into
> subversion?  I've hunted around some, but haven't found anything.

At starting point you could "flatten" your directories by removing
all of their "plain" content and moving *,v files from RCS directory one level
up and deleting empty RCS directories.

After that you should be able to use cvs2svn.py convert your RCS
projects to SVN. I just checked that with very simple RCS setup.

Of course backup your data and verify your results afterward.

There might be even some script floating around which will do that,
but I didn't find it by quick search.

Somebody with more familiar with cvs2svn.py might give better/more
enlightened advices...

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: rcs -> svn?

Posted by Andreas Kostyrka <an...@kostyrka.org>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:07:37PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have some programs (as well as some isolated files) that are under
> rcs.  That is to say, I have a bunch of development directories with
> files, and each individual file is under rcs.
IMHO, you can use the ,v files to create a CVS repository, and use the
cvs2svn script?

Andreas