Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2020/04/14 09:02:02 UTC

[MEETING-NOTES] Community meeting 2020-04-13

NOTE: I try to do my best to summarize the discussion, but there are so
many topics which I am not familiar very deeply, if you see any
inaccuracy, please reply and write your own opinion.

NOTE2: For the design docs I tried to add the names who are participated
in addition to the name who summarized the status during the call Again:
if I missed somebody, please ping me or reply.

  * Mukul: SCM HA discussion
    > Ongoing discussion based on the current draft (shared in JIRA)
    > Community review meetings are planned after some conclusion
      (if you are interested to participate in the current phase, ping
Xiaoyu/Mukul at ASF Slack)

  * Uma: ViewFS (HDFS feature)
    > Initial version will be published in next few weeks
    > One open question: how the "mounting table" configuration is shared

  * Lokesh/Shashi/Mukul: Ozone Retry Policy Improvements (HDDS-3350)
    > Design doc is uploaded, please comment

  * Prashant: NFS support
    > Design doc is already uploaded (TLDR: reuse HDFS code for NFS
gateway and follow that approach)
    > It will be presented in the next Community Meeting
    > A basic random-write support is included in the HDFS code (more
like a workaround) for the first phase it's proposed to be used
    > long-term, native random read-write support is under discussion (a
new issue will be created)

  * Prashant: Disk fault-injection framework
            ( source: https://github.com/prashantpogde/NoiseInjector)
    > Open question: how can it be used for Ratis?
    > Marton: it's very interesting and important topic and great work.
Would be great to share more details (eg. writing blog post, or do a
demo...)

  * Next release is 0.6.0 (ideally in June)
    > Roadmap wiki page [1] will be updated soon
    > Spoiler alert, two main features:
       > ofs://
       > versioning of db files (upgrade support)
    > Marton: would be great to keep the 3 moths release cadence. In
case of any longer delay, we can release the current master as a 0.5.1

  * Marton: earlier we had a discussion to cleanup naming and refactor
the  proto files
    > Would be great to do this together with the versioning
    > We already had a discussion and agreement, will try to find the
reference...

  * Jitendra: time of this community meeting
    > Proposed to move to Tuesday, same time. Will be further discussed
    > Do we need a separated community / open call in Asia friendly time
zone? (Some of the existing syncs between APAC developers can be opened
/ made official if there is a demand)

  * Xiaoyu: Upcoming change related the authorization
     > We have specific code for to check if the user is "admin"
     > Would be better to handle admin checks and other checks at the
same time
     > (Required for better Ranger integration)
     > More details coming soon.

Marton

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Ozone+Road+Map