Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joep Suijs <js...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/30 21:57:21 UTC

smb share problem.

Hi,

I tried to put a repository on an SMB network hard disk, but commits
to this repository fail with the message:

Error: Can't open file 't:\myrepos\db\transactions\26-1.txn\props':
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process.

It turns out that the sbm protocol (or just this device?) does not
support "md 26-1.txn\props" when the directory 26-1.tnx does not
exist. Could this be the cause of this error? And is there a way
around this?

Best regards,
Joep

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 6, 2007, at 06:04, Matt Sickler wrote:

> as is the reply when anyone tries to network share a repository and/or
> working copy: DONT DO IT.  Subversion comes with two servers (svnserve
> and apache's mod_dav_svn) that do the networking for you.  They are
> already made. They've been tested to work.  Why would anyone try to
> implement their own networking scheme when two really good ones are
> already there is beyond me.

For repositories, I agree with you. Store them on a server-local hard
disk, or on a cluster filesystem available to the server. Don't store
them on NFS, SMB, etc. Many people have run into problems trying to
do this.

For working copies, there are legitimate reasons to want to store
these on a server rather than locally. For example, in the web
development shop where I worked, we had a central apache/mysql server
on which all our working copies were stored, in our public_html
directories, so that we could test what we worked on before
committing. We didn't want each user to have to configure apache and
mysql on their personal workstations, hence the working copies had to
be on the server, accessed via SMB so that we could still use our
local text editors.

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
as long as you make sure only one computer uses the repository at a
time that could work
I would suggest you use a server program once you start needing more
connections (or access from out on the internet)

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Jeremy Pereira schrieb:
> 2. put your repository on an external USB disk and plug it into the
> computer you happen to be using.

Using the NAS device as a NBD (network block device) or iSCSI volume
should work because the filesystem itself would be local to the computer
which uses the volume. If concurrent mounts can't be excluded it is
neccassry to use a proper cluster filesystem.

Unfortunately many current low-cost NAS devices don't support NDB or
iSCSI with standard firmware. But most of them are Linux based so it
should be possible to install a custom firmware. And this also means
that probably the custom firmware can be built to include a Subversion
server.

BTW: Does anybody use a Subversion server on a Linksys/Cisco NSLU2?

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
Schweigstill IT | Embedded Systems

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 7 Jul 2007, at 18:55, Joep Suijs wrote:

> Hi Matt,
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> 2007/7/6, Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>:
>> as is the reply when anyone tries to network share a repository
>> and/or
>> working copy: DONT DO IT.  Subversion comes with two servers
>> (svnserve
>> and apache's mod_dav_svn) that do the networking for you.  They are
>> already made. They've been tested to work.  Why would anyone try to
>> implement their own networking scheme when two really good ones are
>> already there is beyond me.
> I have a desktop and a portable computer on which I want to use the
> same set of files, on which I also want version control. So my idea
> was to put a nas disk on my network and put the repository on that.
> This way the repository is always available without the need to keep
> one of the computers always turned on.

If it's only for personal use, a couple of alternatives are:

1. use an old PC as a Subversion server instead of your NAS storage.
I have an old 400 MHz PC with the original Windows wiped and Linux
installed + Apache 2.0 and Subversion.

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Joep Suijs <js...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
as is the reply when anyone tries to network share a repository and/or
working copy: DONT DO IT.  Subversion comes with two servers (svnserve
and apache's mod_dav_svn) that do the networking for you.  They are
already made. They've been tested to work.  Why would anyone try to
implement their own networking scheme when two really good ones are
already there is beyond me.
Unless there's some stupid management thing at your place of work that
says "cant use apache or svnserve", please don't do that.  (And if
they do, try to change it).

Re: smb share problem.

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Joep Suijs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to put a repository on an SMB network hard disk, but commits
> to this repository fail with the message:
>
> Error: Can't open file 't:\myrepos\db\transactions\26-1.txn\props':
> The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
> process.
>
> It turns out that the sbm protocol (or just this device?) does not
> support "md 26-1.txn\props" when the directory 26-1.tnx does not
> exist. Could this be the cause of this error? And is there a way
> around this?

It sounds more like a permissions error for the transactions folder.
Possibly a permissions error for the entire repository tree.