Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Butler, Frances H (FHB)" <bu...@y12.doe.gov> on 2004/11/05 17:39:32 UTC

RE: using subversion for doc´s control

Susana,

We have used it in this way on our project.  However, I don't recommend it.
If you are like us, you use a tool such as Microsoft Word to produce your
documents which produces binary files only.  There is no good way that I
know of to view diffs from one version to another.  If you can get your
document authors to be disciplined, you could include the change as part of
the commit message, but for large documents with many contributors, this
becomes a nightmare because there can be so many large changes.

If someone in the forum knows how to display diffs between binaries, please
share.

Thanks,

Frances Butler
BWXT Y-12 L.L.C.

Posted by Patrick Smears <pa...@ensoft.co.uk>.
> We have used it in this way on our project.  However, I don't recommend
> it. If you are like us, you use a tool such as Microsoft Word to produce
> your documents which produces binary files only.  There is no good way
> that I know of to view diffs from one version to another.  If you can
> get your document authors to be disciplined, you could include the
> change as part of the commit message, but for large documents with many
> contributors, this becomes a nightmare because there can be so many
> large changes.

Of course, displaying diffs isn't the only job a revision control system
does for you - it may still be useful - for keeping track of multiple
revisions, who changed the doc most recently, commit log, centralised
backup etc...

> If someone in the forum knows how to display diffs between binaries,
> please share.

In the case of MS Word, it has a built-in "diff" that compares two
documents, and inserts change bars/revision markers to show the
differences... in my experience it's reasonably good... I think the menu
option varies between versions of Word, but it's something like "Tools...
Compare Versions".

(Also I think newer versions of Word have built-in facilities for revision
tracking - which may or may not be enough for what you need...)

Patrick
--
The easy way to type accents in Windows: http://www.frkeys.com/