Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/10/11 06:16:54 UTC

Re: Patch go boom...

> I don't like this patch ;)  But I wonder if we all agree about what URLs
> really mean.  For my argument a URL != UNIX file, and I believe we'd be
> limiting the flexibility of the server by adding this new behaviour.

URL != File.  However, if by chance a particular URL == File and File is
incapable of making use of extra path, then any extra path is bad.
In fact, I would extend that to SSI and only allow it for ASIS and CGI,
if I thought I could get away with it.  Same goes for / vs /index.html
but I know I can't get away with that one.

Why is it bad?  Because you can't index sites with infinite URLs.

> Any offers?  Perhaps Roy F's got a clue here?

Two.   Col. Mustard is in the Library with a lead pipe.

.....Roy    ;-)

Re: Patch go boom...

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Tony Sanders wrote:

> In fact, I really wish there was an analog standard to `?' for
> extra PATH_INFO so that clients could distinguish the document part
> from their arguments (that would allow, among other things, browsers
> to provide an interface for jumping back to "top" of an interface
> without the user having to manually cut and paste the URL).

No other servers that I'm aware of do, but WebSTAR/MacHTTP does use
$ as the path info seperator instead of /

Just a thought.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC

Re: Patch go boom...

Posted by Tony Sanders <sa...@bsdi.com>.
"Roy T. Fielding" writes:
> URL != File.  However, if by chance a particular URL == File and File is
> Why is it bad?  Because you can't index sites with infinite URLs.

I would very much like it if /index.html were illegal when / is
specified to be the the canonical form for that document (the
current aliasing problem is really a major pain).  I definitely
believe that a single document should have a single name.