Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@apache.org> on 2019/11/13 16:58:06 UTC

Component leads

I would like to propose the idea of open source component leads for TP, TO,
TR, TM and TS. I think having a component lead would help with the
following:

- Help the release manager compile comprehensive release notes for that
component
- Help the release manager determine release scope related to that
component (what to not cherry pick to a release)
- Release candidate testing/validation for that component
- Manage issues related to that component (i.e. apply labels (component,
type and severity)) and close old/irrelevant issues.
- Develop a first pass roadmap (maybe a roadmap.md file at the root of the
component?) for that component and potentially create milestones and
facilitate discussion around the roadmap/milestones.
- Clean up old PRs for that component
- Drive standards for that component

IMO these component leads would probably need the following qualifications:

- someone that works with the component on a day-to-day basis and is
obviously very experienced with the component.
- is a committer so they can do things like apply labels, create
milestones, merge PRs, etc.

Ideally these component leads would represent different companies, however,
maybe that is a goal and not a requirement at the moment.

I bring this up because I think having component leads would help the
quality, organization and transparency of the TC project as a whole and
would provide potential contributors with a better vision of where TC is
headed.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Re: [EXTERNAL] Component leads

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
IMO each one of these could warrant a working group:

TP
TR
TM
TS
Grove
ATS
automation/ci/cd (does cdn-in-a-box fall in this category?)
documentation (or maybe this falls under each component)

Even though you could argue that some working groups might not be very
active, I don't really see the harm in having them.

Posted by Rawlin Peters <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Neuman <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hoppal, Michael" <Mi...@comcast.com>.

Posted by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Neuman <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert O Butts <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Hoppal, Michael" <Mi...@comcast.com>.

Posted by ocket 8888 <oc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by oc...@gmail.com.

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.
Agreed Rob. I didn't mean to imply that these "component leads" would have
more power. Rather that they'd facilitate and lead discussions (on
standards or roadmaps or whatever), be a point of contact for a release
manager, and keep things generally tidy and transparent in regard to that
component. That also means making sure email discussions are resolved and
not left hanging forever.

Any yes, jonathan, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this today
but I don't see any of these things being done so maybe a different
approach would help. Maybe component lead is not the right term?

Posted by Robert O Butts <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Hoppal, Michael" <Mi...@comcast.com>.
I think this is a GREAT idea!

I would very much be +1 on it.

I would add that the open source component leads would be voted on by the community and only hold the position on a defined period of time.