Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by ashish pareek <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/20 18:03:11 UTC

Can Hadoop handle many appliations

Hello Everybody,

                       I have a few questions regarding running applications
on Hadoop.

1) Can a single Hadoop cluster simultaneously handle applications of same
type ( or of different type).

2) What are the challenges in running applications of different types in
Hadoop. How Does it differ from running applications of same type.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Ashish.

Re: Can Hadoop handle many appliations

Posted by Harish Mallipeddi <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, ashish pareek <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
>                       I have a few questions regarding running applications
> on Hadoop.
>
> 1) Can a single Hadoop cluster simultaneously handle applications of same
> type ( or of different type).
>
> 2) What are the challenges in running applications of different types in
> Hadoop. How Does it differ from running applications of same type.

Hi Ashish,

I'm not sure what you mean by applications but hadoop is designed to support
running of different kinds of jobs at the same time on the same cluster.
Jobs are split into tasks (MapTasks and ReduceTasks) and the slave nodes do
not really care what job a task belongs to. They'll accept any task that's
scheduled to run on one of their slots and run it to completion.

Btw core-dev@ won't be interested in answering these kinds of questions.

--
Harish Mallipeddi
http://blog.poundbang.in