Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2009/12/26 07:51:28 UTC

Moving Struts 1 Doc to Confluence

I would like to move the Struts 1 documentation from SVN to
Confluence. As old (10 years almost?!) as Struts 1 is, today it is not
possible for any community member to update it without having SVN
commit access. I think it's too high a bar. Does anyone have any
technical objections to this?

Paul

Re: Moving Struts 1 Doc to Confluence

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Martin,

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Okay. It was just an idea for how the community can add commentary to
> our content without any of us having to do anything. The community
> could still choose to use it, of course - it's more a question of
> whether or not we promote it and take feedback from it.

MySQL's documentation also has comments section. Likewise, I agree
that SideWiki could supplant our documentation. I am for trying it if
Apache will allow it. Do they have any policy against mash-ups that
they can't control?

> That said, though, if that's where your itch lies, you are of course
> welcome to scratch it. :-)

I would like to do both. Migrate to Confluence for S1 and make both
S1/S2 use SideWiki.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I may have gotten the wrong impression, but it seems all SideWiki
> content is stored in Google. I have a thing about letting Google
> owning all the world's data.

Okay. It was just an idea for how the community can add commentary to
our content without any of us having to do anything. The community
could still choose to use it, of course - it's more a question of
whether or not we promote it and take feedback from it.

I guess what I'm thinking is that, after this long, I can't imagine so
much change coming to the S1 docs that converting them all to
Confluence and then making the changes will actually save time over
just making those changes to what we have. My expectation is that
you'd spend far, far more time in the conversion than you'd save in
any subsequent updates.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Thanks Martin and Wendy for your replies.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> If you're concerned about the need for committership, then certainly
> the bar is a bit higher than just filing an iCLA. However, it's
> absolutely possible to gain committership for documentation, rather
> than code. I can think of two people, off the top of my head, who have
> been given committership in Struts primarily for documentation, at
> least initially. If there are people who are contributing patches for
> the docs, then perhaps we should be looking at that.

I didn't know people could be given committer rights to only
documentation. Last time I probed this topic, I was told (and the
email thread exists somewhere) that there are no such thing as partial
rights -- you get to commit access to everything (or nothing) under
the struts group. Since Confluence is a different system, perhaps

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would like to move the Struts 1 documentation from SVN to
> Confluence. As old (10 years almost?!) as Struts 1 is, today it is not
> possible for any community member to update it without having SVN
> commit access. I think it's too high a bar. Does anyone have any
> technical objections to this?

I don't know about "technical objections", but I'd like to understand
which bar you're referring to. Is it the bar of having to learn and
use Subversion, versus editing a wiki page? Or is it the bar of having
to become a committer before gaining access?

In either case, it's still not going to be possible for "any community
member" to update the official docs, since even if we switch to
Confluence, access can be made available only to those who have filed
an iCLA. That's why we have two spaces - one for official docs
maintained only by those who have an iCLA on file, and another for
anyone who wants to contribute, whether or not they have an iCLA on
file. (So there already is no bar, for this second space.)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall,
>
> You're against moving it? As in you don't like the idea or you would
> block it from moving forward?

Are there really many people (even one?) that wants to contribute to
Struts 1 docs?

Niall

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Niall,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would like to move the Struts 1 documentation from SVN to
> Confluence. As old (10 years almost?!) as Struts 1 is, today it is not
> possible for any community member to update it without having SVN
> commit access. I think it's too high a bar. Does anyone have any
> technical objections to this?

I find it extremely difficult to provide oversight for Confluence
based documentation because there are no 'commit diff' emails.  Unless
something has improved since I last looked, it sends the *entire* page
in html when a page changes.  Blech.

(There is an enhancement request for this somewhere in the public JIRA
for Confluence.)

Community wise, I'd rather give people commit access to work on the
docs.  Pushing the docs out where it's easier to give people access
makes it very easy to not bother to vote them in as committers, and we
lose valuable community members who might do more if they had access.

If the people working on the docs want to use Confluence, it's fine
with me, but those are a couple of concerns to consider.

--
Wendy

Re: Moving Struts 1 Doc to Confluence

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2009/12/26 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> I would like to move the Struts 1 documentation from SVN to
> Confluence. As old (10 years almost?!) as Struts 1 is, today it is not
> possible for any community member to update it without having SVN
> commit access. I think it's too high a bar. Does anyone have any
> technical objections to this?

+1 and I even offer my help

Regards
--