Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com> on 2006/06/17 21:33:03 UTC

[classlib] tests.api.java.io.FileTest failures on Windows XP

Does anyone else get the following failures when running the classlib test
suite on Windows XP? I've been getting these for months and just ignoring
them while I worked on other stuff, because they always happened. Before I
start digging into I wanted to see if anyone else is getting these reports.

test_getCanonicalFileFailureTest 5: Incorrect File Returned:
C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longdi~1\longfi~1.
tst

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Test 5: Incorrect File Returned:
C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longdi~1\longfi~1.
tst at tests.api.java.io.FileTest.test_getCanonicalFile(FileTest.java:783)
at
java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:205)0.171
test_getCanonicalPathFailureTest 6: Incorrect Path Returned.
(C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longfi~1.tst
insteadof
C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longfilenameJDK2-3
.tst)

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Test 6: Incorrect Path Returned.
(C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longfi~1.tst
insteadof
C:\dev\harmony\classlib\modules\luni\bin\test\long-JDK2-3\longfilenameJDK2-3
.tst) at tests.api.java.io.FileTest.test_getCanonicalPath(FileTest.java:867)
at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:205)

RE: [classlib] tests.api.java.io.FileTest failures on Windows XP

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
Thanks Richard for logging that bug and testing it out yourself.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> Are you looking at this FileTest now?
>>

> I have not had time, so if you can fix them then please go ahead.
>

>> I've looked over this test, and
>> basically I think it's the test itself can be improved. If 8.3 filename
>> is disabled, the test_getCanonicalPath and test_getCanonicalFile fails
>> on both RI and Harmony. Look inside the tests, it creates a file
>> "longfilename.tst" and "longfi~`.tst", and try to assert these two file
>> returns same canonical path. My suggestions on this test are:
>>
>> 1. About platform issue, these two tests are windows specific, and there
>> are quite a few other test cases in FileTest written like "if(onWindows)
>> blabla", they should be separated to another platform dependent test
>> cases, according to our test convention proposal
>>
>> 2. About long file name issue, I think these 8.3 file name tests are
>> still valuable, I suggest to check the workstation's status at first,
>> and if it supports 8.3 filename, go on the tests, otherwise just skip
>> over this block, the status can be easily get by codes below: (suppose
>> we got a resource test file named as "longfilename.res")
>>
>> private boolean support8Dot3Filename(){
>>    return new File(basedir+"longfi~1.res").exists();
>> }
>>
>> your comments?
>>

> Just wondering if that is something we should be able to answer in the
> general case from the IFileSystem ?  I guess no impl code takes notice
> of that support, in which case what is the test testing?

The File.getCanonicalPath() should always return singular file path for
same underlying file even the j.i.File instances are constructed by
different parameters, and the 8.3 file name is one of case to be tested,
i.e, if new File("longfi~1.tst").getCanonicalPath() return same value
with new File("longfilename.tst").getCanonicalPath(), other similar
cases to be tested includes "./longfilename.tst" or "<absolute
path>/longfilename.tst". These tests are trying to verify Harmony has
same behavior on these cases(including 8.3 filename) with RI.

Moreover, stepping into the getCanonicalPath() implementation,  there IS
some special process for Windows on this issue - a method named
platformCanonicalPath which locates in
native-src/win.IA32/luni/helpers.c, I guess(before looking more inside
to really understand what happens in this method ;-) ) this is the codes
taking care of this kind of supports.

So I think the only evil is the tests should be more accommodate to the
OS configuration. That's why I proposed the fix.
> Regards,
> Tim
>

>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>
>>> Can you stick it into a JIRA?  I may have time to look into it.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tim

Paulex Yang

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Paulex Yang wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Are you looking at this FileTest now?

I have not had time, so if you can fix them then please go ahead.

> I've looked over this test, and
> basically I think it's the test itself can be improved. If 8.3 filename
> is disabled, the test_getCanonicalPath and test_getCanonicalFile fails
> on both RI and Harmony. Look inside the tests, it creates a file
> "longfilename.tst" and "longfi~`.tst", and try to assert these two file
> returns same canonical path. My suggestions on this test are:
>
> 1. About platform issue, these two tests are windows specific, and there
> are quite a few other test cases in FileTest written like "if(onWindows)
> blabla", they should be separated to another platform dependent test
> cases, according to our test convention proposal
>
> 2. About long file name issue, I think these 8.3 file name tests are
> still valuable, I suggest to check the workstation's status at first,
> and if it supports 8.3 filename, go on the tests, otherwise just skip
> over this block, the status can be easily get by codes below: (suppose
> we got a resource test file named as "longfilename.res")
>
> private boolean support8Dot3Filename(){
>    return new File(basedir+"longfi~1.res").exists();
> }
>
> your comments?

Just wondering if that is something we should be able to answer in the
general case from the IFileSystem ?  I guess no impl code takes notice
of that support, in which case what is the test testing?

Regards,
Tim

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Can you stick it into a JIRA?  I may have time to look into it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>
>> Richard Liang wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Nathan,
>>>
>>> Yes. When I disable 8.3 filename support on my WinXP, I get the same
>>> error.
>>> IMHO, our test case cannot assume whether the 8.3 filename is disabled
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> Richard.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] tests.api.java.io.FileTest failures on Windows XP

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

Are you looking at this FileTest now? I've looked over this test, and

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nathan,

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.