Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sravanthi <gr...@yahoo.co.in> on 2005/01/23 00:38:23 UTC

regarding tomcat installation on linux platform

Sir,
I have installed jakartha-tomcat latest version in /usr/local/tomcat
directory and I have my own local environment /home/saangare/ in
linux.
I have changed the context path(docBase to /home/saangare/sravanthi)
in server.xml of tomcat/conf , So i could able to open the html files
that are in 'sravanthi' directory in the browser(
http://localhost:8080/sravanthi/index.html). Upto this is fine, now my
directory structure is
sravanthi/WEB-INF

              classes/ servlet files
              lib
I have set CATALINA_HOME to tomcat and JAVA_HOME to jdk1.5.0.. and
CLASSPATH to tomcat/common/lib/servlet-api.jar:
home/saangare/sravanthi,
I could able to compile the servlets that I wrote (that are placed in
sravanthi/WEB-INF/classes) but when I tried to open
(http://localhost:8080/sravanthi/servlet/someservletprogram) I got an
error stating resource not found.
I tried even uncommenting the servlet invoker line in web.xml of
tomcat/conf (as specified) it din't worked.
So How can I make my servlet run, if i create a web.xml in
/home/saangare/sravanthi/WEB-INF and map the servlets will this work,
if so how does my servlets are related to this. I mean how does the
server know that they have mapped in web.xml . If I got to use web.xml
what is that I need to write in that file.
Please help me out and please be clear.
Awaiting for your reply, unless i am done with this I can't start my
project.. do REPLY IMMEDIATELY
Thanking you,
--
Sravanthi