Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2017/03/10 13:34:43 UTC

GSoC 2017

Adam - we don't seem to have many JIRA marked GSoC2017.

I have signed up as a mentor because it has to happen now if at all.
I've marked JIRA I *might* mentor for: GeoSPARQL (JENA-664),
Fuseki+transactions (JENA-700).

Both are about doing a solid prototype, rather than
straight-to-codebase, which is too much work (risk) to do on the fixed
timescale.

Neither project is easy.
Neither project is just development.

They both have big learning curves and a student will need to have some
background to bring to the problem.

My assumption is any prototype that gets developed on github and the
Jena accepts the code and places in a repo for stuff not in the codebase
(maybe even the SVN area which we still have).  Sound reasonable?

To be clear - I am not guaranteeing to mentor either project at his
stage. I want to know the project will have a decent chance of success
before accepting.

     Andy

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
No, I haven't recorded any yet.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

 From mentors@

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: GSoC 2017

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
I think that your attitude is perfectly reasonable-- and it's great that you are open to exploring these potential projects! That's all we can really do at this stage. I've had a mentorship experience where a significant amount of work had to occur up front to make sure that the mentee developed a reasonable scope and content for the work before anything else happened. I think that's normal and really a valuable part of the program.

The one difference I will pick with you is about code management. I think we have to be flexible and say that we just don't know where things might end up now-- they could go anywhere from nowhere (we hope not!) to actually merged. Let's be agnostic until we get a bite on our line!

---

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Most important point : what do you want to mentor?  You have more at
stake here!

On 12/03/17 18:56, A. Soroka wrote:
> Another possibility: JENA-526?

Not sure what the current state of this is.

DynamicDatasets is in sparql.core.

Fuseki uses it (SPARQL_Query, line 268)

Having it for TIM makes a lot of sense but I don't think it is
accessible (after a brief look at the codebase).

I'd be happy if this were the default and the command line query had to
do special stuff to get load-from-web to happen.

So a possibility though I'm not clear what it would entail at the moment.

     Andy

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 12/03/17 18:42, A. Soroka wrote:
> Andy--
>
> Do you think JENA-691 is suitable for GSoC, or too advanced?

It would seem to require a lot of understanding of the internal
processing workflow - looks like it is 75% learning and 25% doing!  So I
don't think it is suitable for anyone coming in without much of the
background.  And if they have the background, it's not very big.

     Andy

Re: GSoC 2017

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
Andy--