Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Efe Gencer <ef...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/24 23:53:17 UTC

Which Subphases Do Times on JobHistory Web UI Cover

Hi All,

In JobHistory Web UI under Job > "Map Tasks" I see something as follows:
Started: <start time>
Finished: <finish time>
Elapsed: 12 mins, 5sec
Diagnostics:
*Average Map Time*: 1 mins, 40 sec
Average Reduce Time: 12 sec
Average Shuffle Time: 10 mins, 8 sec
Average Merge Time: 1 sec

1) I wonder which sub-map phases "Map Time" contains (e.g. map function,
sort, spill, merge, read and transfer corresponding filesplit from HDFS)
2) Does Reduce time covers Shuffle Time? What else does it cover? (write to
hdfs, etc)
3) Is Average Merge time related with map or reduce? (since they both have
merge phases)

Best,
Efe

Re: Which Subphases Do Times on JobHistory Web UI Cover

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Average map time includes everything the map task is doing, i.e. all the
things you mentioned.  Reduce time does not cover shuffle time.  Reduce
time is the time spent calling the reducer function and writing its output
to HDFS.  Merge time is related to reduce, not map.

-Sandy

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.