Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2002/03/03 13:35:53 UTC

CVS commit errors

I often get this:

cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/home/cvs'
(/home/cvs/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs server: lock failed - giving up
cvs [server aborted]: lock failed - giving up

when attempting to checkin a handful of files.  But not always.  Is it
something on my end?  Or the CVS server?  Any fixes?

Thanks,
    Erik

Re: CVS commit errors

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Erik Hatcher" <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>

> I often get this:
>
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/home/cvs'
> (/home/cvs/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> cvs server: lock failed - giving up
> cvs [server aborted]: lock failed - giving up
>
> when attempting to checkin a handful of files.  But not always.  Is it
> something on my end?  Or the CVS server?  Any fixes?

There are a couple of cvs pedant perl scripts operating
on the background that checks user permission, collects diffs,
etc. before mailing out the commit message.  It is one of
these scripts (logaccum.pl, IIRC) that tries to create temp
files beginning with #cvs. in /home/cvs.  It usually cleans
up the temp file created once the operation is done.
I suspect you get a permission denied when somebody
else has created a similar "lock" file while you
are attempting to.  I don't know enough to patch the
script, though ;-(

> Thanks,
>     Erik

Cheers,