Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by "GILBART Frederic (extérieur société ALMAVIA)" <Fr...@groupe-berri.fr> on 2009/09/03 14:10:42 UTC

SearchIndex config and supportHighlighting changes causes NPE on search.jsp

Hi all,

After using jackrabbit for months i tryed to change my repository-workspace-SearchIndex config using http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Search parameters, to optimize index size and queries response times on my existing repository.

I deleted all index/* and worskpaces/* folders to have index rebuilded and everything seems ok but 1 parameter cannot be changed.

First repository was using supportHighlighting=true in its workspace config - everyting was ok.

When it changes to supportHighlighting=false, i cannot search anymore using the

/jackrabbit-webapp-1.6.0/search.jsp?q=* because of :

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.NullPointerException

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:522)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:416)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)

       javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

cause m�re

java.lang.NullPointerException

       org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:265)

       org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)

       javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:374)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)

       org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)

       javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

(For information, search does not produce NPE if has no results.)

All others parameters may change or not, only this one produce the NullPointerException

If i change it back to supportHighlighting=true and reduild indexes everything is ok again.

Is this a bug or do I miss some steps in such update ? Does someone notice same behavior ? In such case, may the wiki be updated to warn of this ?

Does someone know how to move from supportHighlighting=true to false because indexes are smaller that way ?

Regards,

Frederic Gilbart

Re: SearchIndex config and supportHighlighting changes causes NPE on search.jsp

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

supportHighlighting is required to build excerpt for query results. if
you set supportHighlighting to false then the query result will return
null for the rep:excerpt() column. that's probably the case here. just
check if the excerpt value is non-null before calling getString() on
the value.

regards
 marcel