Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/09/22 00:49:12 UTC

Category.getDefaultHierarchy().enableAll();

It looks like the tyrex team has addressed the problems identified in
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-09-21/tyrex.html .  Just in time
for a new problem.  Getting the latest log4j and tyrex and trying to
compile them together results in:

main:
    [javac] Compiling 110 source files to /tmp/gump/tyrex/build/classes
    [javac] /tmp/gump/tyrex/src/main/tyrex/util/Configuration.java:335: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method enableAll  ()
    [javac] location: class org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator
    [javac]         org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator.enableAll();
    [javac]                                           ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 1 error

At first, this looks simple, as that API was deprecated in favor of
Category.enableAll().  However, trying that results in:

main:
    [javac] Compiling 10 source files to /tmp/gump/tyrex/build/classes
    [javac] /tmp/gump/tyrex/src/main/tyrex/util/Configuration.java:335: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method enableAll  ()
    [javac] location: interface org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggerRepository
    [javac]         org.apache.log4j.Category.getDefaultHierarchy().enableAll();
    [javac]                                                      ^
    [javac] 1 error

In this case, it looks like the return type of a method has changed from
release to release.  I'll note that this is not a very backwards compatible
change...

Question: What should the tyrex development team use at the present time?
Is there an API that works with 1.1.3 that will continue to work in the
next release of log4j - deprecated or otherwise?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Category.getDefaultHierarchy().enableAll();

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hi Sam,

Is it possible for the tyrex team to use log4j configuration file directives instead of
API calls? Actually, why are they using enableAll in the first place? Thanks, Ceki

At 18:49 21.09.2001 -0400, you wrote:
>It looks like the tyrex team has addressed the problems identified in
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-09-21/tyrex.html .  Just in time
>for a new problem.  Getting the latest log4j and tyrex and trying to
>compile them together results in:
>
>main:
>    [javac] Compiling 110 source files to /tmp/gump/tyrex/build/classes
>    [javac] /tmp/gump/tyrex/src/main/tyrex/util/Configuration.java:335: cannot resolve symbol
>    [javac] symbol  : method enableAll  ()
>    [javac] location: class org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator
>    [javac]         org.apache.log4j.BasicConfigurator.enableAll();
>    [javac]                                           ^
>    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
>    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
>    [javac] 1 error
>
>At first, this looks simple, as that API was deprecated in favor of
>Category.enableAll().  However, trying that results in:
>
>main:
>    [javac] Compiling 10 source files to /tmp/gump/tyrex/build/classes
>    [javac] /tmp/gump/tyrex/src/main/tyrex/util/Configuration.java:335: cannot resolve symbol
>    [javac] symbol  : method enableAll  ()
>    [javac] location: interface org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggerRepository
>    [javac]         org.apache.log4j.Category.getDefaultHierarchy().enableAll();
>    [javac]                                                      ^
>    [javac] 1 error
>
>In this case, it looks like the return type of a method has changed from
>release to release.  I'll note that this is not a very backwards compatible
>change...
>
>Question: What should the tyrex development team use at the present time?
>Is there an API that works with 1.1.3 that will continue to work in the
>next release of log4j - deprecated or otherwise?
>
>- Sam Ruby

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch

The world owes Israel a great debt for destroying Saddam's
French built nuclear reactor in 1981 and thus preventing
nuclear blackmail in the region and perhaps beyond.
                       -- Garry Kasparov (yes, the chess player)