Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2017/09/04 08:50:34 UTC

FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Hi All

Is there any interest in us submitting a request for an Apache Developer room for FOSDEM?

If we were allocated one then we would need to manage our own CFP for presentations and content. Details are in the link below.

https://fosdem.org/2018/news/2017-09-03-call-for-participation/

The deadline for applications is 20th September so we'd need to act fairly quickly.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 08:44:38AM +0200, Sharan F wrote:
> I'm still thinking about the devroom name. The Apache brand is a strong
> one so I'd going to incorporate our name in there somehow ....

My suggestion would be to incorporate "Software Foundation" as well, to lower the chance of ppl thinking this is going to be about httpd only ;)

Isabel

--
Sorry for any typos: Mail was typed in vim, written in mutt, via ssh (most likely involving some kind of mobile connection only.)

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Thanks Isabel. I think we could provide some great content for the main
tracks.

Re: Fwd: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I would try to provide content for a room. There we have talks yes?

Devrooms are proposed (and we are at this stage) and the FOSDEM
committee selects them. Then Call for Talks are issued (October). Then
talks are selected (November). So all the content discussion should wait
until the Call for Talks is issued.

> Can we make an OpenOffice meetup like last year?

Sure, it's always nice to meet people in person.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fwd: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
I also plan to visit FOSDEM again next year.

Maybe I can convince some people to accompany me? It is a short flight. ;-)

Matthias

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Best message of the day. :-D

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
I would try to provide content for a room. There we have talks yes?

I have no Idea about what I should talk, yet. Would be a talk on
joining a huge historic Project like Open Office with almost no
experience be a helpfull topic?

Maybe we should have a talk where Open Office as a project is heading.
Release cycles concerns, options and so forth.And of course what people
we are looking for and what they skill they have to learn.
could be a good thing.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dave Fisher wrote:
> Is there any interest in OpenOffice participating with an Apache
> Developer Room at the 2018 FOSDEM?

I've taken care of submitting the request for the past few years and I

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Is there any interest in OpenOffice participating with an Apache Developer Room at the 2018 FOSDEM?

If so we should let Sharan know at dev@community.apache.org

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 15/09/2017 Isabel Drost-Fromm wrote:
> Am 12. September 2017 23:27:42 MESZ schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> That is what I am required to obey each year when selecting talks for
>> the devroom I co-organize.
> Who is asking you to obey that?

At some time in 2012, when I was organizing the current incarnation of
the devroom for the first time, I was made aware of this requirement. It
made sense to me, I agree with it and it gives me the opportunity for
rejecting (or asking to improve) presentations that would only be
product pitches and that wouldn't fit the spirit of FOSDEM.

> This information is important as Dev rooms are entirely self organised and independent

I surely didn't want to start a discussion about someone violating some
fundamental freedoms of devrooms organizers. A quick search on the site
doesn't reveal anything forbidding non-technical talks. I do remember it
being set as an explicit requirement in 2012, but I don't feel this is
important enough for me to spend time digging in the archives. And
whether it is explicitly stated or not, I still see it as a requirement
that makes sense for a "typical" FOSDEM devroom - not for the one
recently discussed on this list.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Am 12. September 2017 23:27:42 MESZ schrieb Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>:
>That is what I am required to obey each year when selecting talks for
>the devroom I co-organize.

Who is asking you to obey that?

This information is important as Dev rooms are entirely self organised and independent from each other as well as independent from main tracks.

Isabel

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

I helped with the talk selection for the the Community Devroom at FOSDEM
earlier this year and all their sessions were completely full (and I
mean full as in people outside the door who couldn't get in and were
waiting for the next session decided to have their own community related
discussions while they waited!) That shows to me that there is
definitely a need for more community related content.

I did have another thought about the name of the Devroom, rather than it
being called an ASF or Apache Devroom, I'm going to call it a
Foundations Devroom for topics related to any open source foundation
which will also create opportunities for information sharing and
collaboration across foundations.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/09/2017 11:55, Isabel Drost-Fromm wrote:
> You mention that FOSDEM sets a requirement for presentations to be of a
> technical nature - this is not what I have observed during the past ten years
> attending and/or speaking at FOSDEM

That is what I am required to obey each year when selecting talks for
the devroom I co-organize. Then I don't know if FOSDEM, like some other

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 08:27:58PM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 06/09/2017 Sharan Foga wrote:
>> It sounds like the general feeling is to do it, so I will put something
>> together for the Developer room request.
>
> Note that I submitted a request on behalf of the OpenOffice PMC to have
> the traditional "ODF Editors" devroom that has been co-organized by
> OpenOffice since 2014.

Awesome. Great to see that continued effort.

> I honestly believe that it would be closer to the spirit of FOSDEM if
> other ASF projects tried to join a devroom where they fit in a technical
> sense more than in a community sense, especially if you take into
> account that one of the very few requirements for presentations is to be
> of a technical nature - and in my case I will surely find more familiar
> a technical presentation about a non-ASF, ODF-related project than one
> about an ASF-operated but ODF-unrelated one.

I think this is conflating multiple assumptions:

First of all, I don't think the idea of having an Apache Dev Room at FOSDEM is to
try and cover all Apache technical goodness in one devroom track. That indeed
would not be feasible.

Also, I don't think anyone will expect ppl active in Apache projects to
exclusively present content on Apache projects in an Apache dev room. It makes
much more sense from a "how many ppl can we reach" kind of perspective to go and
seek the technologically relevant dev room for the talk at hand (or even create
a project specific dev room and see if that gets accepted).

Now if I'm reading this thread correctly, what could work for an Apache Dev room
could involve stories along the lines of Apache Way, economics, legal and social
implications of being a 501c3, stories on how projects at Apache have developed
community wise.

You mention that FOSDEM sets a requirement for presentations to be of a
technical nature - this is not what I have observed during the past ten years
attending and/or speaking at FOSDEM: Yes there is lots of technical content.
However there also is a very successful legal dev room. There recently was a
community dev room. There were talks in the main tracks on the inner workings of
various large scale projects. There were talks within technical dev rooms that
focussed on best practices organising meetups. In the early days of open
sourcing Java there were several discussions on how to go about that and how to
best integrate the various packaging communities in the Java Dev Room...

> That said, I surely don't want to discourage you from applying for an
> "Apache Devroom". Just consider that some projects might join other
> devrooms not because they feel "special" or "bigger" or "more
> important", but because in the very competitive FOSDEM process this
> gives them the opportunity to better fit the FOSDEM requirements.

Hopefully nobody would be angry for others trying to spread the word beyond our
own circles.

Isabel

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <mv...@mvdb.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Like Shane said, I could use such an excuse to travel to Europe (again,
love Europe).

Kevin said that Fundraising will be there. I am not sure if he plans to
come himself, but I could help with that. I could also deliver a talk
that is quite popular (I delivered it myself once with Benson): "Can I
rely on software built by volunteers?".

I'd only need to know a bit in advance, as I travel quite a bit these days.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Sharan F wrote on 9/4/17 6:33 AM:
> Hi Isabel
>
> I didn't have anything fixed in mind but off the top of my head – the
> Apache Way, licensing and trademarks (as that has been in the news
> lately) and perhaps something related to incubator. We could also do
> something collaborative or community related – eg hackathon, meetup etc
> so depends on the feedback I get from this thread.

I can definitely do a trademark/brand related talk, which I agree would
be both educational and topical.  If I'm speaking, that gives me an
excuse to finally come to FOSDEM!

There's a limit to how much I can help organize, but I definitely think
an Apache room would be valuable for our communities.  Thanks in advance
for signing us up!  8-)

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
That's a good idea! I was on the booth and saw the reaction of people
when they realised just how many projects they recognised but didn't
know they were Apache ones.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Isabel

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I also like the idea ;-)

Chris

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Am .09.2017, 08:30 Uhr, schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org>:

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>>> We'll save you a seat. See you there!
>> And a glass... ;-)
>
> Ok, if I get a seat AND a glass I definitely have to be there ;-)

No one told you what's inside the glass... maybe just air ;-)

I will be there too.

Regards Raphael

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Teehee....ya can't say no to that, right Bertrand?! Daniel knows how to get ya!! :)

    On ‎Friday‎, ‎September‎ ‎8‎, ‎2017‎ ‎02‎:‎30‎:‎35‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 09/07/2017 05:35 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> On 09/07/2017 04:14 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>> -Bertrand (who missed FOSDEM every time so far, hoping to make it in 2018)
>> We'll save you a seat. See you there!
> And a glass... ;-)

Ok, if I get a seat AND a glass I definitely have to be there ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 I'd expect nothing less, Daniel!! ;)

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> ...it's *critical* that we find a way to
> define the room other than just "Apache", since that's as broad as the
> entire software industry....

Apache Communities?

Apache Backstage? (stealing the idea from Isabel's "FOSS Backstage"
[1], we should ask her if she's ok with that before using the name)

-Bertrand (who missed FOSDEM every time so far, hoping to make it in 2018)

[1] https://berlinbuzzwords.de/17/news/call-papers-mikro-summit-november-foss-backstage-open

Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Count me in to help out, but it's *critical* that we find a way to