Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Davendra Kumar <da...@hotmail.com> on 2003/01/18 13:48:45 UTC

email question

hi everyone,

i got a question? my question is can i develop a mail system in standalone
pc. if yes how this is possible... because the localhost address is
127.0.0.1. any response wil be good thanks

Re: where can I find config.xml?

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Look under
<james directory>/apps/james/SAR-INF/

Harmeet
Posted by Richard Han <ri...@shaw.ca>.
Hi,

-------------------------------

-----------------

Re: email question

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
That depends on what you mean by "develop".  Certainly you could write
JAMES mailets and test them on a standalone PC. (I do.)  All you need to
do is use any mail client and set the smtp and pop servers to be localhost.

When you send mail it will go directly to JAMES.  You can receive mail
from JAMES via pop3.  For this setup you don't even need DNS!

If you want to start forwarding mail to the real world, you will need to
set up a dns server in config.xml.  Your ISP's DNS servers would
suffice.  Assuming that you are using windows NT, just type "ipconfig
/all" while connected to the internet.  (I assume that you have at least
a dial-up connection to the internet, because you managed to post this
question.)  Make sure that you are connected to the internet when you
send your email.

If you want to receive mail from the internet, you will need to use
JAMES integrated fetchPOP support.  In order to receive SMTP mail from
the real world, you will need you either be full time connected, or use
ETRN.  I am not sure if JAMES supports ETRN.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ADK