Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Derek Shen <de...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/04 09:43:48 UTC

MyFaces and Portlet

I am working on a project to integrate JSF and Portlet. The first step
is to create JSF based portlet. Did some research and there are
different approaches to achieve it.

One approach is to provide JSF bridge. Basically, to create a
JSFPortlet and use it as a bridge to the FacesServlet. Sun,
exoplatform and many others already provide this kind of solution.

Another approach is to complete the JSF implementation. JSF spec
already contains the support for porlet, however, most JSF
implementation is not complete and does not support porlet. I think it
is a much better approach.

Glad to see the Stan Silvert provided the portlet support patch for
MyFaces. Actually, his changes are included inside 1.0.9.

Did anyone created a sample JSF based portlet using the new code? Stan
claimed that he has tested his changes on Pluto. Any idea about how it
works? For my understanding, I still need to create some kind of
bridge JSF portlet and somehow to forward the request to FacesServlet.

Please advice. Thanks.
Derek

Re: MyFaces and Portlet

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
FYI, I've been working with the MyFaces portlet support and Liferay and
have run into a couple of issues. I've made progress, but I'm still working
out some kinks. I think they just made some changes for the portlet
integration available for the RI. You can read the thread here:
http://forums.liferay.com/index.php?act=Search&CODE=simpleresults&sid=e27fa33acc88facc8df62dc7cee115a8&highlite=myfaces,

Kito D. Mann
Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JSF FAQ, news, and info

Are you using JSF in a project? Send an e-mail to trenches@jsfcentral.com
and you could win a free copy of JavaServer Faces in Action!

At 12:57 AM 3/8/2005, you wrote:
>Thanks. I am going to try the MyFaces built-in JSF support.
>
>On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:39:40 -0800 (PST), David Le Strat
><dl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Derek,
> >
> > FYI, I created a sample app in Jetspeed 2 using the
> > new built-in myfaces bridge.  Check out the latest
> > from CVS if you are interested.  Works like a charm.
> > We also have our own bridge which supports myfaces as
> > well.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David Le Strat.
> >
> > --- Derek Shen <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am working on a project to integrate JSF and
> > > Portlet. The first step
> > > is to create JSF based portlet. Did some research
> > > and there are
> > > different approaches to achieve it.
> > >
> > > One approach is to provide JSF bridge. Basically, to
> > > create a
> > > JSFPortlet and use it as a bridge to the
> > > FacesServlet. Sun,
> > > exoplatform and many others already provide this
> > > kind of solution.
> > >
> > > Another approach is to complete the JSF
> > > implementation. JSF spec
> > > already contains the support for porlet, however,
> > > most JSF
> > > implementation is not complete and does not support
> > > porlet. I think it
> > > is a much better approach.
> > >
> > > Glad to see the Stan Silvert provided the portlet
> > > support patch for
> > > MyFaces. Actually, his changes are included inside
> > > 1.0.9.
> > >
> > > Did anyone created a sample JSF based portlet using
> > > the new code? Stan
> > > claimed that he has tested his changes on Pluto. Any
> > > idea about how it
> > > works? For my understanding, I still need to create
> > > some kind of
> > > bridge JSF portlet and somehow to forward the
> > > request to FacesServlet.
> > >
> > > Please advice. Thanks.
> > > Derek
> > >

> > __________________________________
> > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
> > Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
> > http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/

Kito D. Mann (kmann@virtua.com)
Virtua, Inc. (phone: 203-323-1244  fax: 203-323-2363)
Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
(<http://www.manning.com/mann/index.html>http://www.manning.com/mann/index.html)
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info

"Existence doesn't necessarily mean living..."

Re: MyFaces and Portlet

Posted by Derek Shen <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: MyFaces and Portlet

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Derek,

FYI, I created a sample app in Jetspeed 2 using the
new built-in myfaces bridge.  Check out the latest
from CVS if you are interested.  Works like a charm.
We also have our own bridge which supports myfaces as
well.

Regards,

David Le Strat.

--- Derek Shen <de...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a project to integrate JSF and
> Portlet. The first step
> is to create JSF based portlet. Did some research
> and there are
> different approaches to achieve it.
>
> One approach is to provide JSF bridge. Basically, to
> create a
> JSFPortlet and use it as a bridge to the
> FacesServlet. Sun,
> exoplatform and many others already provide this
> kind of solution.
>
> Another approach is to complete the JSF
> implementation. JSF spec
> already contains the support for porlet, however,
> most JSF
> implementation is not complete and does not support
> porlet. I think it
> is a much better approach.
>
> Glad to see the Stan Silvert provided the portlet
> support patch for
> MyFaces. Actually, his changes are included inside
> 1.0.9.
>
> Did anyone created a sample JSF based portlet using
> the new code? Stan
> claimed that he has tested his changes on Pluto. Any
> idea about how it
> works? For my understanding, I still need to create
> some kind of
> bridge JSF portlet and somehow to forward the
> request to FacesServlet.
>
> Please advice. Thanks.
> Derek

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!