Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Frank Zhou <fc...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/21 09:10:41 UTC

Xerces with ICU in linux

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has built xerces with ICU in linux
(for example, redhat), and if yes, would it be
possible to share the build scripts?  I tried to use
packageBinaries.pl with some modifications but without
luck.

Another question is that, once I have successfully
built Xerces with ICU, I should be able to just
include the libraries (xerces and ICU) into my other
projects and use it like the standalone library (I
mean without ICU), is this true? I am new to this
area, so I would like to get some confirmation.

Thanks much in advance.

Frank

Re: Xerces with ICU in linux

Posted by Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org>.
Frank Zhou <fc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone has built xerces with ICU in linux
> (for example, redhat), and if yes, would it be
> possible to share the build scripts?  I tried to use
> packageBinaries.pl with some modifications but without
> luck.

The Debian xerces packages include libraries both with the native
transcoder and with the ICU transcoder.  The ICU version are built
with ICU, albeit a very old version (2.1).  After the next stable
debian release, I intend to only create ICU versions of the xerces
libraries and to upgrade the ICU packages to whatever the latest
version (at least that works with xerces) is at the time.

The debian build scripts configure the ICU version as follows:

  runConfigure -plinux -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -ticu -z -g

(plus some additional options to set prefix appropriate for a
distribution, etc.), but probably just specifying -ticu as an argument
to runConfigure should be sufficient.  Several people, myself
included, use the ICU versions of Xerces-C++ in debian, and I have not
heard of any problems with it.  (I maintain the xerces packages for
Debian.)

> Another question is that, once I have successfully
> built Xerces with ICU, I should be able to just
> include the libraries (xerces and ICU) into my other
> projects and use it like the standalone library (I
> mean without ICU), is this true? I am new to this
> area, so I would like to get some confirmation.

I believe this is correct, but I'll defer to someone else.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org>