Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net> on 2015/11/15 18:17:12 UTC

[users@httpd] How to post to HTTPD Users List

How to get a reasonable answer to a question on this list:
1. Choose a subject that describes what you want to ask. "Re: confirm
subscribe to users@httpd.apache.org" is not a descriptive subject.
2. Ask a question. You are more likely to get a good answer if you have a
specific question. Implicit questions like "Please share the FAQ's to
update my skills on Apache." will probably not get you a useful response
other than read the documentation or pay some private tutor to help you.
This list is here to help people solve specific problems, not to help you
become a consultant or get a new job or "update your skills".

Also read the link on the mailing list description page: "How To Ask
Questions The Smart Way"

- Y

Re: [users@httpd] How to post to HTTPD Users List

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 11/17/2015 11:38 AM, Yehuda Katz wrote:
> I don't necessarily agree with everything in that document, but it is
> referenced on this mailing list page
> (http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users), so it is reasonable to
> reference it.

Good point. I'll try to fix that ASAP.

> If there are significant issues with it (I am not saying that there
> are), then I am sure someone can propose taking the link off the website
> or replacing it with something else.

I'm working on it - http://betterfm.org/smart-questions.html
Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately.

The issue that I have with it is that it assumes that it is the asker's
responsibility to put up with all manner of abuse, because that's just
how we roll in the Open Source world. (See
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#keepcool for more detail
on that attitude.) I just happen to repudiate that particular point of view.

That, and the fact that the word "idiot" appears first in paragraph two,
and the arrogance get worse from there.

> I actually do think that this document is way too long as a welcome to a
> new poster. A concise bulleted list might be better.

Yes, the document has grown from a useful little document ten years ago
to the victim-blaming monstrosity it is today, and it's time to burn it
down and start over.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [users@httpd] How to post to HTTPD Users List

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.