Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com> on 2008/08/27 00:52:53 UTC

lucene 3.0 feature list?

Hi,
  Sorry if I missed this somewhere or maybe its not released yet, but I
was anxiously curious about lucene 3.0's expected features/improvements.
Is there a list yet?

thanks!
Darren

Re: lucene 3.0 feature list?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:59 PM, Karl Wettin wrote:

> 27 aug 2008 kl. 00.52 skrev Darren Govoni:
>
>> Hi,
>> Sorry if I missed this somewhere or maybe its not released yet, but I
>> was anxiously curious about lucene 3.0's expected features/
>> improvements.
>> Is there a list yet?
>
> If everything goes as planned then Lucene 3.0 will be the same as
> Lucene 2.4 but with no depricated methods.

It will also be JDK 1.5.

Re: lucene 3.0 feature list?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
See http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility

Generally speaking 3.0 will be the same as 2.9 minus the deprecated
methods (and, in this case, the upgrade to JDK 1.5).  That is not to
say that the file formats, etc. under the hood won't change and that
there won't be new methods and capabilities (there certainly will be,
otherwise what's the point?).  For instance, we have _DISCUSSED_
changing Document/Fieldable into two separate concerns based on index
time use and search time use.  This has not been committed to, though.

-Grant

Re: lucene 3.0 feature list?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
We haven't even begun working on 3.0 other than the planning to say it
will be on JDK 1.5.  There may be a few tickets in JIRA that are
marked as 3.0, though, but that doesn't even mean they will make it.
And, the API will not necessarily be 2.4 compatible.  That is not in
our back compat. requirements.  Having said that, we try to make
upgrades as painless as possible, but for major releases, we reserve
the right to change things more so than minor releases.

Re: lucene 3.0 feature list?

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.

Re: lucene 3.0 feature list?

Posted by Andre Rubin <an...@gmail.com>.