Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2009/12/26 19:01:57 UTC

Hosting a small python web app for community development

Hi

We've got a small python webapp for comdev[1], which we'd ideally like to
appear underneath part of http://community.apache.org/ . It's only a few
urls that could happily be under the same base url.

The application in question is written in django, so can be hosted with
mod_python, mod_wsgi, fastcgi, or cgi at a pinch.

Is there a machine we can run this on, and can we proxy to it?

Thanks
Nick

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/nearby_people

Re: Hosting a small python web app for community development

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 30/12/2009 17:37, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>  > We've got a small python webapp for comdev[1], which we'd ideally like
>  > to appear underneath part of http://community.apache.org/ . It's only
>  > a few urls that could happily be under the same base url.
>  > [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/nearby_people
>
> Hi Comdev/nick,
>
> Rather, you should request a zone or jail (comdev.zones.apache.org) from
> infrastructure [create a jira ticket] and run whatever you want there.

It is my understanding that we should not be running mission critical
apps on a zone. Is this the case?

> For several reasons i.e (security, failover, mirroring, and maintenance)
> we do not run any dynamic content on $tlp.apache.org. Additionally, we
> don't Proxy from $tlp.apache.org to anything even zones, so you should
> just use the zone url directly.

Assuming that a zone is not suitable for mission critical stuff do we
have any other options on ASF hardware?

Ross

Re: Hosting a small python web app for community development

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
 > We've got a small python webapp for comdev[1], which we'd ideally like
 > to appear underneath part of http://community.apache.org/ . It's only
 > a few urls that could happily be under the same base url.
 > [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/nearby_people

Hi Comdev/nick,

Rather, you should request a zone or jail (comdev.zones.apache.org) from
infrastructure [create a jira ticket] and run whatever you want there.
For several reasons i.e (security, failover, mirroring, and maintenance)
we do not run any dynamic content on $tlp.apache.org. Additionally, we
don't Proxy from $tlp.apache.org to anything even zones, so you should
just use  the zone url directly.

HTH

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.