Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by ch...@gmx.net on 2004/12/30 04:18:51 UTC

Slide/WCK does not run if included into a project/classpath

Hello,

I'm trying to implement WCK to use the Slide server functionality.

I've included the Slide CVS project in my Eclipse workspace as described in
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/getting-started.html
and finally got it to build.

Then I've managed to do the building and deploying from CVS HEAD as described in
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/WckQuickStart
(Section 1.1.)
For this, i've set up a clean new Tomcat 5.0.28 installation.

When I'm running Tomcat, the WCK reference application (org.apache.slide.simple.reference) actually works and I can access WebDAV at
http://localhost:8080/slide/ through the Windows Explorer.

The next step would be to implement the interface "org.apache.slide.simple.store.BasicWebdavStore" in my own project. Which requires
to include jakarta-slide-wck-1.0.jar (and therefore slide-kernel-2.2pre1.jar as well) into the Tomcat classpath. But the strange
thing about it is, that Slide obviously does not work as soon as you include one of it's libraries into the classpath.
I always thought you have to include libs into the classpath, if u want to use them. Here it seems to be exactly the opposite.

If no Slide lib is in the classpath (and Slide works well), Tomcat gives a long output to stdout on startup with lots of info lines
from Slide. If there are Slide libs in the classpath (and Slide doesn't work), there is no output from Slide, not even an Exception.
It simply doesn't start.

I actually don't really understand, why WCK reference application worked in the first place, since none of the Slide libs was in the
classpath. How do those libs get loaded? The only changes the ant deploy section of the WCK- build.xml does to the Tomcat
installation is the additional start parameter "-Djava.security.auth.login.config=%CATALINA_HOME%/conf/jaas.config" and the Slide
context in the server.xml.
So why does it work without the classpath?
And why doesn't it work as soon as you put the Slide libs into the classpath?
How can I implement the BasicWebdavStore interface into any project, if I can't include the according lib into the classpath?

I'm using Windows 2000, Tomcat 5.0.28, Slide 2.2pre1, Eclipse 2.1.3.

Without the libs in the classpath, the WCK reference application is running with Tomcat started from the command line (startup.bat)
as well as from Eclipse (with Sysdeo Tomcat Plugin).

I've tried using the Slide libs in
%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\slide\WEB-INF\lib
and in
%CATALINA_HOME%\common\lib

I've tried to include just
slide-kernel-2.2pre1.jar

or
slide-kernel-2.2pre1.jar and
slide-roles-2.2pre1.jar and
slide-stores-2.2pre1.jar and
slide-webdavservlet-2.2pre1.jar
as mentioned in
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/getting-started.html

or all libs together which are produced by ant deploy of the WCK- build.xml

Nothing works.
Got no ideas left... :-(

Big thanks for help,
Chily

Re: Slide/WCK does not run if included into a project/classpath

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
Tomcat has its own classloader that will load any .class file under
<your_webapp>/WEB-INF/classes and any .jar file under
<your_webapp>/WEB-INF/lib in to the classpath of <your_webapp>. To
include your classes in the sample application, either put your .class
files into slide/WEB-INF/classes or build a jar and put it in
slide/WEB-INF/lib.

-James